× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6110 – AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender - Can I use Use more than 1 wifi extender

SQPB
Follower

EX6110 – AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender - Can I use Use more than 1 wifi extender

Hi,

The original router is enclosed in a concrete garage, (only place NBN could put it).  I have just bought one wifi extender and it works  nearby on the ground floor, ( less than 10 meters away)  but  connectivity waivers a little when I tried to set it up upstairs. ( approx 25 meters away from router) If I bought a second one for upstairs would this work or do I need to install a nest instead? 

Thanks

Model: EX6110|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6110 – AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender - Can I use Use more than 1 wifi extender

Daisy chaining extender isn't a good idea. Here's why. 

Standard extenders (all manufacturers) have to send and recieve using the same chip. And they can't do both at once. So they automatically take a 50% speed hit based on where they're at.  I say "where they're at" because distance and objects slow the speed. Add in another extender and its going to be 50% of what its getting (that's already been cut in half).

For example. if you pay for 100mbps service. And the extender is getting decent signal but its far enough away that its only going to be getting 70mbps because of the distance/objects, its only going to rebroadcast at 35mbps because of the throughput hit and the distance/object hit. Add another extender to that and because of distance and throughput, it might be only getting 10-15mpbs. 

If you're needing multiple extenders, its better to go the router of a mesh system like the triband orbis that have a chip reserved just for router-----satellite communication. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6110 – AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender - Can I use Use more than 1 wifi extender

Daisy chaining extender isn't a good idea. Here's why. 

Standard extenders (all manufacturers) have to send and recieve using the same chip. And they can't do both at once. So they automatically take a 50% speed hit based on where they're at.  I say "where they're at" because distance and objects slow the speed. Add in another extender and its going to be 50% of what its getting (that's already been cut in half).

For example. if you pay for 100mbps service. And the extender is getting decent signal but its far enough away that its only going to be getting 70mbps because of the distance/objects, its only going to rebroadcast at 35mbps because of the throughput hit and the distance/object hit. Add another extender to that and because of distance and throughput, it might be only getting 10-15mpbs. 

If you're needing multiple extenders, its better to go the router of a mesh system like the triband orbis that have a chip reserved just for router-----satellite communication. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7