× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6120 5GHZ Won't Work

Nakatomi
Aspirant

EX6120 5GHZ Won't Work

I have the EX6120 Wifi extender and for some reason it will no longer connect to the 5GHZ network I have set-up, I've just about 10 mins ago did a complete reset of the networks and I can still connect to the 2.4ghz but not the 5GHZ, it has the latest firmware as well. When trying to connect via my Samsuns S20 mobile I get "Couldn't get IP Address"

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6120 5GHZ Won't Work

What router are you connecting it to? 

Did you set it up using wps or the installation assistant? 

Message 2 of 7
Nakatomi
Aspirant

The router I own came from my ISP its a Technicolor DGA2231 and I set it up via my laptop via wifi like I first did when I first got it last year, everything sets up fine the extender sees my main routers 2.4/5ghz signals and I set them up with 2 different names make a password for them both and continue with set-up.

Everything is fine and it says its completed set-up the 2 new extended wifi signals are broadcasting because my hardware like phone laptop see them both, I can connect to the 2.4ghz band fine but 5ghz it just sits there and gives me couldn't get IP address. Yet I have it set up to handle them its self I also have on my main router the IP address for the ext to perm keep it for that item.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Nakatomi wrote:

Yet I have it set up to handle them its self I also have on my main router the IP address for the ext to perm keep it for that item.

Not sure what you mean by this. Did you set them with static ip address? What exactly are you refering to here. 

Message 4 of 7
Nakatomi
Aspirant

When I set up the ext I just went through the Smart Set-Up and just let it search for my current 2.4/5ghz bands from my main router I then set-up it's own names for the extender wifis and there own passwords. The set-up completes and it says both have a signal and are broadcasting there own, my phone, tablet, Nintendo Switches and my camera to monitor my child at night works on the 2.4ghz wifi extender but nothing will connect to the 5ghz. It just doens't do anything and on my phone says "CANNOT GET IP ADDRESS".

Today I did a full system reset of the adapter started again and it still won't connect to the 5ghz band I believe the plug is defective I've checked my warrnety and I runs on on the August 2021 but I have to call to speak to someone.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

The only other thing I'd try is resetting the router back to factory. 

Message 6 of 7
CarlJW
Aspirant

It's December 2021 and I have the same problem... 5GHz band is grayed out in the browser status page.

Funny thing is, when I first connected both channels via WPS instructions, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels worked.  It was originally on either v1.0.0.24 or 44... can't remember.  I made the mistake up upgrading the firmware to V1.0.0.66_1.0.40 when prompted (for security fixes).

PROBLEM:

My 5GHz channel no longer allows my devices to get an IP address even though connection status is "Connected".

NEXT STEPS:

1. Can I downgrade back to the original version?  Factory reset does not revert to that version.

2. Is there a fix or configuration that will allow the 5GHz to connect to the internet?

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7