× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6120 RANGE EXTENDER NOT CONNECTING TO router ON 5g RADIO(S)

93fd3s
Guide

EX6120 RANGE EXTENDER NOT CONNECTING TO router ON 5g RADIO(S)

Just bought a new EX6120 and have tried setting it up several times, including a firmware upgrade.  While the device seems to work, I am troiubled by the fact that it does not seem to be connecting to my ROUTER with both the 2.4G and 5G bands...it appears to only be communicating with the ROUTER on the 2.4 G band as it might do if I were using the FastLane option(s) - but I'm NOT.  I am basing this on the graphic of the status of the range extender as shown here:Doesn't look like the EX6120 is using the 5G band to talk with the router...why not?Doesn't look like the EX6120 is using the 5G band to talk with the router...why not?

So it seems like there should be green arcs instead of grey where circled if the range ext were using the 5G band and the information from my router's 5G network should be listed (SSID and signal strength, etc.).  I have tried setting this up with WPS and then manualy changing things when it seemed WPS didn't work.  Seems silly to have things connect to the extender with 5G only to be downgraded to 2.4 when going to the router...doesn't it??

Regards

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
93fd3s
Guide

I forgot to mention that my router is a netgear R8500...it seems to have a spotty record so maybe that is the problem right there but I hope not.

Message 2 of 6
93fd3s
Guide

Sorry - one more detail, the range EXT firmware is V1.0.0.46_1.0.29 I upgraded it when suggested during the initial installation though it seemed like it crapped out during the install I wonder if I could have a partially updated firmware?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

do you have your R8500 with smart connect running? Try disabling smart connect to setup the extender. 

Message 4 of 6
93fd3s
Guide

I do actually have the Smart Connect feature enabled and I wondered if that might throw it off.

However, I managed to get the extender working on 5GHz.  I reapplied my firmware update and that may have ahad an effect, but the last thing I did before the 5GHz connected was to change Fast Connect from Basic to Fast Connect with the 5GHZ band used between the router and the extender.  Once I restarted in that configuration and verified that 5GHz was functioning between extender and router, I went back into the Fast Connect menu and set it back to "basic" and rebooted again.  When the extender came back up, it was connecting to the router on both band (2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Message 5 of 6
93fd3s
Guide

Plemans,

While I have gotten things to work through my own methods, thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post!

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7