× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6120 & wall LAN socket

SWH_UK
Aspirant

EX6120 & wall LAN socket

Setup : Router in room1 => LAN socket in room1 => cat6e cable to other side of house => LAN socket in room2

The cabling aspect is fine, and hardwiring devices from the LAN socket in room2 works fine (incl another router reconfig'd as an AP)

I bought the EX6120 to use as an AP in room2 as the old router I was using as the AP died. 

However, no matter what I try, as soon as I have configured the EX6120 (by plugging directly to the router, completing setup OK as per instructions) and remove it and connect it to the LAN socket in room2, it never finds  the router.

The unit only appears to work as a wi-fi extender in room2 (as expected - but signal is v v weak hence the desire to use as AP) or as an AP when wired *directly* into the router.

Has anyone got it working as an AP in a wired/socketed environment? Any pointers?

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Re: EX6120 & wall LAN socket

Unfortunately, the EX6120 is one of three Netgear range extenders that cannot be used as an AP.  See the FAQ in the manual (direct link).

Message 2 of 9
SWH_UK
Aspirant

Thanks - sorry, I'm rather confused....the Netgear Website says this has 2 modes "Two WiFi Modes Extend existing WiFi connection or create a new AC WiFi access point." and the user guied (p13 of the harcopy) has a section entitled "Use The Extender in Acces Point Mode".....

The document you link to has the same section on p14 "Use the Extender in Access Point Mode" and the picture shows the LAN cable coming from the wall socket to the device.

Can you clarify your statement please?

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

My apologies.  I was thinking of the EX6120 and I didn't read the EX6150 manual closely enough.

You do need to put the EX6150 into Access Point mode before you can wire it to the router.  Did you do that?

Message 4 of 9
SWH_UK
Aspirant

To confirm - my model is the EX6120, and the original document you linked to is the correct use guide with the instructions for setting up as an AP (p14)

Still no joy...

Pre-Req : confirm the LAN port on wall and cable work fine by connecting to internet & pinging router from laptop.

1. Plug EX6120 in, perform factory reset - light status confirms success

2. Complete steps 1 to 8 (p15 of the linked doc) with no problems, confirm I am connected to NETGEAR_EXT and no other wireless/wired network

3. Step 9 Click on"Access Point" get the following error message

Network Connection Issue

• The extender can't connect to the router.
  • Make sure that the Ethernet cable is securely plugged into the port on the extender and the router.
  • Do you want Smart Setup to try again?
  • Yes
  • N

Have repeated, reset, still no joy. Once connected to NETGEAR-EXT I can no longer see the router. despite being able ti plug the LAN cable into any other device and get online.

Help!

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

I'm truly dyslexic today.  Sorry!

Anyway, do you, perchance, have some form of MAC address access control enabled on your router?

Message 6 of 9
SWH_UK
Aspirant

Ha! Yeah - was just starting down that route......

However, before I start mucking around with router config and annoying the kids, I can confirm that adding the Ex6120 to the network as a wif-fi extender works fine (factory resetting between the different modes of course) - does that preclude there being a problem with MAC address filtering? Or is the manner of connection as an AP mean I'm hitting a specific problem?

I'l fire up the router config manager now to see if I've got any exceptions reported.

Message 7 of 9
SWH_UK
Aspirant

I can confirm my router does *not* have MAC address filtering - I've checked the manufacturers website & support forums.

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

It shouldn't make a difference, but you can try moving the EX6120 to room1 and plugging it directly into the router?  Even though you did state that cable between rooms 1 and 2 works fine, it does eliminate one variable from the equation.

Can you tell if your router is allocating an IP address to the extender?

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7