× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6120 as an AP (Guest Network)

Tompo007
Aspirant

EX6120 as an AP (Guest Network)

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up the EX6120 as an AP, and then add a Guest Netwokr so people cannot log onto my domestic network or simply log in to 192.168.1.254 to my router. Whilst I understand they would need the password/admin password to action any changes I dont feel this is very secure if they have any malware/trojans that could come on to my network without them knowing.

I do not have huge technical knowledge, just some basics about this, but it also needs to be cost effective. I have tried BT Wholehome Wifi which seemed to work okay and has a Guest Wifi option, but I'm looking for something slightly different? What would I need to do to set this up please?

Thanks,

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

the ex6120 can act as an AP but it doesn't have the option of a guest network in this mode.  If your router has a wifi guest network, you can use it to extend that specific network while in extender mode. Just not in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 5
Tompo007
Aspirant

Thank you, unfortunately I only currently have a standard BT Smarthub6 which doesnt allow Guest Network functionality as such, I'd have to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels.

So could I get the following Netgear Switch and then use either the Netgear EX6120 or another AP the other end (as the Netgear Switch has VLAN) or is this adding one too many steps? Could I just get a router with VLAN? Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

How large of a sized area are you trying to cover? 

I couldn't find a BT smarthub6. Are you sure thats the version? These were all i could find from BT.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56400/~/help-for-bt-hubs

I couldn't find any info on BT supporting guest networkingg or vlan. so you're correct.

you either need a switch that supports vlan or upgrading the router to one that supports guest networking or vlan. 

Message 4 of 5
Tompo007
Aspirant

Sorry, it is just my BT SSID is BTHub6 bu it's the Smart Hub (One down from the Smarthub2)

The only thing I know that BT do for Guest Networking is their Wholehome Wifi Mesh system but it's too many discs.

The distance I'm trying to cover is to an outbuilding which is only between 6-8 metres, both the Netgear extender and BT Wholehome systems work, but not giving an extremely strong signal. inside the building the Netgear only provides 6mbps as an extender on 2.4ghz only, just outside it provides up to 320mbps.

Would you have any recommendations on a router that would provide either Guest Networking or VLAN (VLAN seems more complicated to me to set up) and if I went the switch route with VLAN, I'd still have to have some sort of AP or wireless router the other end?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7