× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6120 crash when uploading using the latest firmware

EX6120 crash when uploading using the latest firmware

Hi,

I just installed the lastest firmware on my NetGear extender, and now, I am experimenting internet crash when I do a speed test during the upload. The device (NetGear EX6120), just reset or something then the signal come back.

Best,

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6120 crash when uploading using the latest firmware

Have you tried a factory reset? Anytime you have issues after a firmware change, a good first step is factory resetting and re-installing. 

If you still have the issue, I'd try reinstalling the same firmware. It could have gotten corrupted during install. A reset only removes settings and doesn't overwrite the firmware. 

If that doesn't fix the issue, then I'd try downgrading the firmware back to the older firmware. 

Message 2 of 5

Hi,
Yes, I have done 2 factory reset, installed different versions of the firmware, and reinstalled the latest firmware again, but it didn't solve the issue. However, I manage to isolate the problem and make things less worse by limiting the range power output from 100% to 25%. However, every time the transfer speed reach > 170 Mbps, the device crash. On the 100%, the device crash when transfer speed reach > 60 Mbps. It look like the device hardware doesn't have enough power to deal with such surge, which is against specifications written on the box (up to 1200 Mbps).
Best,

Message 3 of 5

*Edit for first post: Also, I don't think it is related to the firmware, I just notice this issue yesterday after downloading the latest firmware and doing a speed test. I never done a speed test before since I have the device (2 months). And I don't upload/download intensively usually. So this is probably an issues that I had since I have the device.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

if you've only had it for 2 months, I'd open a support case with netgear. If you're the original purchaser, you get 90 days of free support from purchase date and 1 year warranty. maybe you have a diffective device. better to get it replaced earlier rather than later. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7