× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6120 malfunctioning when heating - had it replaced and the new one malfunctions too!

gmontaltog
Aspirant

EX6120 malfunctioning when heating - had it replaced and the new one malfunctions too!

Hello,

My EX6120 has been working fine for slightly less than a year, then it started misbehaving: it was randomly loosing the connection (and sometimes rebooting) every 10-20 minutes or even less.

I unplugged it, and it was quite hot. I let it cool down for a few hours, then plugged it again: it worked fine for about two hours, then restarted malfunctioning. 

Had it replaced from Amazon last week, with a brand new one (box was sealed). Set it up as the older one, it worked five for just days!

Currently, the new one randomly:

- looses connection with the router;

- lets you connect, but doesn't give you access to the Internet;

- doesn't let you log into its own user interface (browser timeout);

- reboots.

This also happens with the repeater placed about ten meters away from the router, with no obstacles between them!

technical details (apply to both the old and the new EX6120):

- firmware updated to the latest available release

- always been connected to the same router ("Vodafone Station Revolution") and its configuration hasn't changed; devices attached to the router's WiFi (I mean without repeater) have a stable and working connection.

- connected both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks; same behavior;

- WiFi channels are the default ones, "WiFi Analytics" app states they are the best choice;

- Attempted both WPS and manual configuration: they all worked fine as long as the repeaters were working.

Anyone able to help me?

Or should I ask for another replacement?

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
gmontaltog
Aspirant

Rif.: EX6120 malfunctioning when heating - had it replaced and the new one malfunctions too!

oops...!

Sorry, "it worked five for just days!" was supposed to be "it worked fine for just five days!" Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Rif.: EX6120 malfunctioning when heating - had it replaced and the new one malfunctions too!

Hi @gmontaltog, apologies for the late response. May we know if you got this sorted out?

Dexter

Message 3 of 4
gmontaltog
Aspirant

Re: Rif.: EX6120 malfunctioning when heating - had it replaced and the new one malfunctions too!

Hi,

I haven't found a solution, but rather a temporary workaround.

I do need a stable WiFi connection for remote working, so I've connected the EX6120 to one of the router's Ethernet ports using a 10m long cable, and reconfigured it as an access point.

I've noticed that:

- it's still hot, but not overheating as much as it did when it was set up as a range extender;

- it doesn't seem to reboot any more;

- WiFi rarely drops the connection, though it still happens a few times per day.

Obviously, it's just a temporary workaround: having a ten meters long cable laid across my living room's floor is definitely not the best way to extend WiFi coverage!

Incidentally, WiFi signal strenght is still very poor; moving more than one single room ahead it's almost impossible to connect.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7