× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6120 - the 2.4 ghz network working but I'm unable to connect to the 5ghz "DHCP lookup fa

BatExige
Tutor

EX6120 - the 2.4 ghz network working but I'm unable to connect to the 5ghz "DHCP lookup failed"

as the title says: EX6120 - the 2.4 ghz network is working but I"m unable to connect to the 5ghz network though the extender. Error message "DHCP lookup failed"
I've updated the firmware, changed the 5ghz chanel on the router, rebooted, tried connecting to the extender using other devices, still nothing works. 

I've gotten a replacement from Amazon and got the exact same error. I'm about to return my replacement, but figured I ask here to see if anyone has a solution.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6120 - the 2.4 ghz network working but I'm unable to connect to the 5ghz "DHCP lookup fa

Is your router setup with any fancy routing/static routes/device? 

If not, i'd just go full nuclear and do a full reset on both devices. Start back at factory with both of them. Do a reset of both and set them both up first before adding any other devices (other than the device you use to set them up). You could troubleshoot both devices all day and not figure it out. I doubt its the extender as you've replaced it once and gotten the same error. 

I've hooked a netgear extender to a C6300 without issue so they should work. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what device are you connecting the ex6120 back to?

Router and firmware:

It usually means the 5ghz radio isn't getting an ip address from the base router that you're using.

Since its happening to 2 different ex6120's (since you got it replaced) I'd be looking at your main router instead of the extender. 

that leads back to what you have and have you tried troubleshooting its dhcp setup at all? 

Message 2 of 7
BatExige
Tutor

thank you for the response.

my router is a Netgear C6300-100NAS AC1750.
I have not done anything on the router end, other then changing the channel.

can you direct me to any procedures on how to perform DHCP setup troubshooting? this is out of realm of my knowledge. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Is your router setup with any fancy routing/static routes/device? 

If not, i'd just go full nuclear and do a full reset on both devices. Start back at factory with both of them. Do a reset of both and set them both up first before adding any other devices (other than the device you use to set them up). You could troubleshoot both devices all day and not figure it out. I doubt its the extender as you've replaced it once and gotten the same error. 

I've hooked a netgear extender to a C6300 without issue so they should work. 

Message 4 of 7
BatExige
Tutor

nope, I've left everything default other than changing wireless channels. I'll try the nuclear option and start both from factory settings. thanks!
Message 5 of 7
BatExige
Tutor

welp... the nuclear option did the trick.. until it asked me to update the firmware. After firmware update, 5g is toast again. Gonna try again, sans firmware update this time. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

always good to do a reset after a firmware update anyway. Hopefully it works ok this time!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7