× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6130 - Please provide a firmware upgrade allowing to disable "virtual MAC addresses"

Olivier8
Follower

EX6130 - Please provide a firmware upgrade allowing to disable "virtual MAC addresses"

Please provide a firmware upgrade to allow disabling the Virtual MAC addresses "feature".

This "feature" is actually a bug, since it's a breach in the ieee802 MAC specification.

A layer 2 device shall not masquerade MAC addresses.

I understand that you, for whatever reason, decided to introduce that "feature" and it's ok if it remains active by default, but there must be a way to disable it and respect the L2 protocols.

The network administrator is the owner of the device, not the manuacturer, and it's only the network administrator that should decide the way his network is interconnected.

With this Virtual MAC addresses "feature" on, I can't have wifi roaming, which is why I bought that device.

And by the way, your GUI is very frustrating, it feels like not beeing taken seriously. There is no "advanced" or "manual setup" button/tab. If I wan't to change a single parameter like the router's SSID or password, no other possibility than using the wizard ("you're a baby, I will do that for you").

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7