× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6200 AC1200 WiFi Access Point - Having problem with 2.4G band

Chongmc
Aspirant

EX6200 AC1200 WiFi Access Point - Having problem with 2.4G band

Hi. I'm having problem on 2.4G band with my EX6200/AC1200 Dual Band Wifi Extender.

I connect it with a ethenet cable, so it act as a access point now. When I speed test while connecting 2.4G, it only give 0.5-1Mbps. But when I speed test 5G band, it give 30Mbps (thats my subcription highest speed).

I test it like 3-4 meter away from the extender. I have 3 unit of this extender, all located at diifferent floor and different channel (1,6,11).

Can I know whats wrong with my 2.4G band speed? 

Thanks.

Model: EX6200|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

You have 3 of them? 

All setup in AP mode wtih a hardwired connection?

Are they using the same ssid or different ssid's?  If they're they same ssid's, your device might be retaining connection to one of the other devices. 2.4ghz broadcasts further than 5ghz.

What firmware is on them?

what are they connecting back to? firmware on it? Is it using same ssid?

Message 2 of 6
Chongmc
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes, all 3 are in AP mode with hardwired connection.

Yes, all SSID is the same. But I tried to disconnect the wifi (at phone or laptop), just to make sure it had connected into the correct AP (by looking at the Wifi bar, as 3 of them located quite far away from each other). I also tried to change the name of the SSID too, but the outcome is the same.

Firmware version now is: V1.0.3.88_1.1.123

This 3 Netgear extender is connected by a CISC Switch with hardwire, and this CISCO switch is connect to ASUS rounter. The think is, ASUS rounter itself have dual band Wifi, but it give no problem on both 2,4G and 5G.

Again, this problem only occur with my 2.4G, 5G is working fine.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

so no issues with the asus 2.4ghz? does it have the same ssid? 

Have you tried shutting off the other AP's (just for testing purposes) and speedtesting?

How close are these together? You're running 3 ap's plus the main router. I'm curious how much area you're trying to cover

How are you doing the speed testing? device,website, etc

Whenever I find multiple devices with the same issues, I'm less inclined to believe its an issues with the extender and more an issue with the way its setup or the device you're testing with. And they all have the same slow speed issue?

Message 4 of 6
Chongmc
Aspirant

Yes, I have no issue with Asus 2.4G and yes, we are using same SSID.

There 5 floors in my building here. I having a EX6200 at ground floor 2nd floor and 4th floor. I attached a picture for better understanding.

I'm using Ookla speed test on a phone and laptop aswell.

I get like 10+/-Mbps per second when I'm standing beside the extender. But if I  stand slightly away like 7 meter away, the speed will drop to 1+/-Mbps.

And no, I haven't tried shutdown other EX6200 for testing purpose.

Any advise to how should this be setup? Such as I'm not suppose to use same SSID? Channel of 2.4G all must be different (channel 1 for first device, then channel 6 for second rounter. then 11 then back 1 etc)? Any advise?

Thanks. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Since you have them in AP mode, its fine to have them on seperate channels.

I would seperate out the ssids though. The EX6200 doesn't have built in mesh or support seamless roaming.

You state over 5ghz speeds are fine. Are they fine if you hard wire into the extender? I get that basically makes it act as a switch but its another point of reference.

You can also try the shutting off all extenders but 1 and then shutting off the 2.4ghz on your main router. You can turn it back on but you're going to have to try different scenarios to figure out where the root cause is. 

It'll probably take some testing aka playing around. Shut off all but one extender and focus on getting one extenders speed improved over 2.4ghz. If all 3 are having the same problem, it tends not to be the extender. It tends to be a setting you have in them, the router thats hosting, or the device you're testing with. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7