× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6200 - Stops assigning IP Addresses

njmckenzie
Aspirant

EX6200 - Stops assigning IP Addresses

Just purchased the EX6200 wifi extender two weeks ago and the setup went fine and network performance (speed/latency) was good. Recently, I am needing to reboot once a day in order for devices to be recognized on the EX6200 extender and have internet access (they connect to EX6200 but don't get good IP addresses).  I can still connect these devices to the main router (wirelessly with a very weak signal - hence the extender).  After one or two reboots, the EX6200 successfully recognizes devices and I am good to go for another day.  I have done a simple test of changing the IP lease time on the main router from 1 day (86400 seconds) to 2 days (172800 seconds) and I did not need to reboot the router until two days passed.  I did another test and changed the IP lease time on the main router down to 2 minutes.  On the user interface for the main router, all of the EX6200 connected devices changed from "*** STATIC IP ADDRESS **" to connections that expire in two minutes.  They then very correctly resubscribe every minute or so as a DHCP service should.

Is there a way to diagnose the problem to the EX6200 or the main router?  It is only EX6200 connected devices that show the problem but the main router was showing "STATIC IP ADDRESS" when no static IP addresses were setup.

System Setup:

• Running latest firmware: V1.0.1.60_1.1.98
  • Wirelessly connected back to a Technicolor TC7210.Z wifi router on 5 Ghz
  • Rebroadcasting both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
  • Two windows laptops hardwired (ethernet) to EX6200 (one running windows 10 and one running windows 7)
  • One Samsung network printer hardwired (ethernet) to EX6200
  • One Android phone wirelessly connected to EX6200 and to main router depending on location in house
  • Two Android tablets wirelessly connected to EX6200 and to main router depending on location in house
  • TV hardwired (ethernet) to TC7210.Z
  • One home phone hardwired (ethernet) to TC7210.Z
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
njmckenzie
Aspirant

Three days with no reboots required and counting (fingers crossed it continues).  So it does appear to be the main router's configuration that was somehow messing with the EX6200.  The previous factory reset was actually not a complete reset (operator error and it only reset some of the settings) but this one was complete and effective so far at ensuring the laptops / printers stay connected.  This also helped isolate a different problem on the phone to a particular wifi prioritization app that was causing the dropoff of wifi.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
njmckenzie
Aspirant

One more update.  Yesterday the lease time at 2 minutes seemed to be working although today at roughly one day since resetting the router, the network was lost again requiring ex6200 reboot.

Message 2 of 8
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi njmckenzie,

When you changed the lease time for the IP, are you also experiencing the issue when connected to just the router?

From the description you provided, it doesn't sound like it is an issue with the EX6200.

Please try to reset your Technicolor to factory defaults.

Message 3 of 8
njmckenzie
Aspirant

nhann - I am not experiencing any issues when connected to the main router (either wirelessly or wired).  I am going to try factory reset on both the router and the extender and basically start from scratch.  This morning, four reboots of the EX6200 have been done and each time, it will recognize some of the wired connections but not all, and none of the wireless connections.

Message 4 of 8
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Okay, great.

Let us know how it works for you

Message 5 of 8
njmckenzie
Aspirant

The factory resets did not work and I am experiencing the same issues again.  

Message 6 of 8
njmckenzie
Aspirant

I am trying again with the factory resets of the technicolor...  We'll see tomorrow...

Message 7 of 8
njmckenzie
Aspirant

Three days with no reboots required and counting (fingers crossed it continues).  So it does appear to be the main router's configuration that was somehow messing with the EX6200.  The previous factory reset was actually not a complete reset (operator error and it only reset some of the settings) but this one was complete and effective so far at ensuring the laptops / printers stay connected.  This also helped isolate a different problem on the phone to a particular wifi prioritization app that was causing the dropoff of wifi.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7