× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6200, unlike EX6100, doesn't support LAN uplink!

dBFromOz
Aspirant

EX6200, unlike EX6100, doesn't support LAN uplink!

I've just received delivery of an EX6200, expecting to connect it my existing router via wired Ethernet (LAN) connection i.e. as an access point.
Apparently the EX6200 does not support this scenario, whereas the cheaper EX6100 does. :confused:

I'd appreciate if the EX6200 product development/technical support can assist with the following questions-

Q1. Is the EX6200 hardware capable of supporting wired access point (LAN) connection (i.e. back to a router) as per the EX6100?

Q2. Are there any plans to add wired (LAN) access point functionality in a firmware upgrade, assuming hardware support is there?

FYI: I went for the EX6200 over the cheaper EX6100 due to the better specs (faster, more signal, etc) and expected it to support all the EX6100 features and more…..

I've just been on the blower (phone) for an hour to very a helpful Netgear support person. He confirmed the EX6200 does not support wired Ethernet to the router and only WiFi extension is supported. The cheaper/slower EX6100 will do the job I want. Silly me - looking at the forums, I'm not the first customer to have this issue. :eek:

In any case, I'm very disappointed that the lack of support for wired (LAN) connection to the upstream device does not appear in the EX6200 spec sheets/web page, AFAIK. 😞

Perhaps the EX6200 should have been called something else… E.g. "EW6200", to differentiate it from the cheaper EX6100, which supports wired upstream connection. :rolleyes:

I bought the EX6200 (cost $AU115) to replace a Belkin F7D1301 (cost $AU18) especially because the EX6200 supports 802.11AC and 5GHz. Sadly, the EX6200 is now packed back in its box and the F7D1301 is back in service till this issue is resolved.

Best Regards,
dB
Communications Engineer - who is feeling a bit stoopid right now…

Message 1 of 17
dBFromOz
Aspirant

Re: EX6200, unlike EX6100, doesn't support LAN uplink!

The response from this post seems to imply that a wired connection back to the router is possible, or am I misunderstanding???

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=91133
Message 2 of 17
fordem
Mentor

First - you're not going to reach the product development team here, and if you want to reach tech support, I suggest using my.netgear.com - these forums are intended to be user-to-user. Having said that - I have not used the EX6200 personally (and I'm not likely to), but, even though the documentation does not mention connecting it to the router using Ethernet, it is documented as being a wireless bridge, so I see no reason why it should not work - what happened when you tried?
Message 3 of 17
Gingernut1978
Aspirant

I have ddwrt loaded on mine as I needed the AP feature but i would probably roll back to stock if in a future update this function is incorportated.
Message 4 of 17
dBFromOz
Aspirant

Gingernut1978 wrote:
I have ddwrt loaded on mine as I needed the AP feature but i would probably roll back to stock if in a future update this function is incorportated.

Thanks heaps, Gingernut.

I'm looking at this one: http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/56606/Transform-the-NETGEAR-EX6200-into-a-Wi-Fi-Router-with-DD-W...

What did you use?
dB
Message 5 of 17
Gingernut1978
Aspirant

Message 6 of 17
storm_2003
Novice

@dBFromOz

I have tested this on my unit and the wired and wireless adapter on a PC receives valid IP address from the router but no Internet access. Internet works only when Extender status is "Connected" wherein the Extender is connected successfully to another wireless SSID but not with wired.

I suggests you contact NETGEAR support if it is possible for a feature request for this model.
Message 7 of 17
storm_2003
Novice

@dBFromOz
Disregard my first response. Someone mess up with my router settings. So here's what I do to get the unit working as an AP mode or wired to the router.

1. Access the EX6200 GUI and set static IP address to the same subnet as my R7000 router.
IP: 10.0.0.200
SM : 255.255.255.0
DG : 10.0.0.1 ( R7000 IP)
DNS : 10.0.0.1 ( R7000 IP)

2. Disable the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID on the router. ( this is not necessary I just turn it off to make sure that the extender isn't connected wirelessly to the router). I even create a new SSID and change passphrase on the router just to make sure that it was not saved before on the extenders settings. I also check the Extender status is "Disconnected".

3. Connect a computer and receive valid IP address from the router and can go online wired and wireless using the EX6200.

Hope this helps you.
Message 8 of 17
Gingernut1978
Aspirant

I think the OP was referring to using the ex6200 as a wireless AP, what you describe is a sort of switch.
Message 9 of 17
dBFromOz
Aspirant

I've flashed using ex6200 firmware here:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC-Arm/25015M/

So far so goos. It now looks like it will do the job; just need to to properly configure it..
Message 10 of 17
storm_2003
Novice

@Gingernut1978

Party switch yeah but it is an AP as the wireless signal of the extender still caters wireless devices and it works fine. Both wired and wireless are working on the extender when I set it up.
Message 11 of 17
Gingernut1978
Aspirant

I'll try it when I get the time.
Message 12 of 17
Gingernut1978
Aspirant

Just tested your theory out and I wasn't able to create a simple wireless ap using the ex6200 on stock firmware.

The problem is that the ex6200 will redirect you as soon as you open a web browser to it's config page when it's disconnected from the main wireless signal that it's bridging, and dosen't let you do anything but reconnect or reconfigure.

I've now tried twice to creat a simple wireless ap out of the ex6200 on stock firmware and I haven't succeded.

I sent a request to Netgear support to implement an ap feature and they got back saying that they'd look into it.
Message 13 of 17
Aqua1ung
Aspirant

Also looking into flashing DDWRT onto my EX6200, and I'd be interested in learning what possible advantages DDWRT might have over stock. Any of youse care to chime in? How are the DDWRT radio drivers? Same or better range and connectivity? Will it still be capable to operate in FastLane technology?
Message 14 of 17
wmarsh
Aspirant

Gingernut1978 wrote:
Just tested your theory out and I wasn't able to create a simple wireless ap using the ex6200 on stock firmware.

The problem is that the ex6200 will redirect you as soon as you open a web browser to it's config page when it's disconnected from the main wireless signal that it's bridging, and dosen't let you do anything but reconnect or reconfigure.

I've now tried twice to creat a simple wireless ap out of the ex6200 on stock firmware and I haven't succeded.

I sent a request to Netgear support to implement an ap feature and they got back saying that they'd look into it.

My experience parallels Gingernut1978 -- I too purchased the EX6200. I was hoping the performance would be adequate in the far end of my house using it as a range extender; when it was not I figured it would be a simple matter to wire it to my router with a cat6 cable and use it as an Access Point but no go. At least with the stock firmware.

So I am currently using dd-wrt (just upgraded to the r25974 beta available on dd-wrt.com) but would happily revert to stock firmware once this feature is supported.

Its really crazy that its not supported. The EX6100 has the same interface (and presumably virtually the same firmware) and supports use as an Access Point.
Message 15 of 17
smeeon
Aspirant

Figured it out,

Hardware Version EX6200
Firmware Version V1.0.1.60_1.1.98

First you must setup the unit to extend your existing wifi, once this setup is complete login to the EX6200 via it's web interface.

change it's network settings from DHCP to static IP, assign it a static IP on your network (I used 192.168.1.251) apply the settings, reboot the EX6200.

Log in and change the "connect to existing network" menu to be "Access Point(Wired)" mode.

apply the settings.

Once it reboots you can then log into the unit with the new static IP address Ex:192.168.1.251

repeat for any additional access points 192.168.1.252 .253 etc.

Epic Fail netgear for goofy firmware.
Message 16 of 17
opsman0001
Aspirant

I unfortunately did not find this response quick enough yesterday and spent almost 2.5 hours online and on hold with Netgears customer support folks. I had to ask and explain multiple times the option of "Access Point (Wired)" on the setup screen and why it was there. Each of the customer support folks told me over and over and over that a wired access point is not available and they had no idea why the option is there. Finally (after sitting on hold countless times) Mehraj (ID#1085) was able to dig very deep into another similar router's options and walk me through the same process you describe below and now I have a wired Access Point at full wired speed.

I wanted to verify that it was in fact wired so I turned off the wireless access at the Uverse modem and all is good. I was about to flash with DD-WRT as a last resort but don't have to now.

smeeon wrote:
Figured it out,

Hardware Version EX6200
Firmware Version V1.0.1.60_1.1.98

First you must setup the unit to extend your existing wifi, once this setup is complete login to the EX6200 via it's web interface.

change it's network settings from DHCP to static IP, assign it a static IP on your network (I used 192.168.1.251) apply the settings, reboot the EX6200.

Log in and change the "connect to existing network" menu to be "Access Point(Wired)" mode.

apply the settings.

Once it reboots you can then log into the unit with the new static IP address Ex:192.168.1.251

repeat for any additional access points 192.168.1.252 .253 etc.

Epic Fail netgear for goofy firmware.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7