× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6200 - using same SSID

Devildoc
Aspirant

EX6200 - using same SSID

Is there an option, or solution, to just extend the existing network? i.e. use same SSID/PASSPHRASE and make without having multiple networks to connect to?  I'm thinking there must be some significant limitation in this senario since it's not even offered.  Could I just change the SSID of the EX6200 to match the router, make them same channel?

Message 1 of 5
Devildoc
Aspirant

Re: EX6200 - using same SSID

or am I totally out to lunch thinking there's any advantage to wanting to do that, i.e. what's the point?

Message 2 of 5
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The EX6200 will create a new network (that's connected to your router) by default.
You can name the SSID the same as your router but the roaming network that you describe is more common in business products.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24942/~/how-to-set-up-my-wireless-extender-to-use-the-...

Message 3 of 5
Devildoc
Aspirant

Thx for your prompt reply,  As you may have realized by the nature of my questions, I'm not the IT guy my friends and family think I am.  The article you sent me to describes exactly what it is I'm concerned about, and raises these questions :

1)Will my device connect automatically to the strongest signal, or will it hang onto it's current connection as long as it can, until literally forced to drop it because of poor connection.  

2)How do/will I know? 

3)Does it have same speed as my Asus router?

4)If I'm not using wifi for streaming AV (those devices are cat6 wired), does it really matter much?

Thanks for your attention and advice.

Message 4 of 5
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1) This would also depend on the device you are using to connect to the networks. But generally, it would hang onto the current connection until it's lost. The automatic roaming that you describe is featured in the business product line.
2) You can check which network you're on by logging into mywifiext.net (for your extender networks) and routerlogin.net (for your router network).

3) If the EX6200 is setup as a WiFi extender (as opposed to a wired access point) then the throughput is half of what you receive on the router network.

4) That depends on your requirements for the home network.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7