× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6200 will not set up as access point

Rsusca
Tutor

EX6200 will not set up as access point

My EX6200 worked as an access point for years. I had to change its location and change the SSID. We I change the locatio, I also did a factory reset. Since them, I cannot access the web GUI to set it up as an access point. When I connect the Ethernet cable from the EX6200 to my computer and My router, I get an error with instructions for other Netgear model devices but not my EX6200. I can set it up as an extender if I set up wirelessly connecting to NETGEAR EXT WiFi. But not option for access point. I followed the instruction explicitly and still no luck.
I’m hoping someone in this forum can help.

Thank you
Model: EX6200|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Rsusca
Tutor

I updated the firmware and I successfully set it up as an access point!
I feel like an idiot because I knew it had to be something simple that I was missing.

I appreciate your assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the extender?

What router are you using?

How are you trying to do the install? Via app, a browser (which one), etc. 

If you factory reset and then if you connect only the extender to the router and connect with computer wireless, are you able to go through setup? The instructions state that you can only connect via wireless in AP mode for devices (not router). 

Have you tried a different browser or device to do the setup?

Message 2 of 8
Rsusca
Tutor

Firmware Version V1.0.0.46_1.1.70
I’m using My Fios Gateway router supplier by Verizon ( the EX6200 was working as an AP with this setup until I factory reset the EX6200)
I’m trying to install via browser per the instructions provided by Netgear.
You can only setup the EX6200 as an extender wirelessly. Netgear instructions state you must hardwire a computer to the EX6200 and hardwire the EX6200 to the router to set it up as an Access Point.
I’ve tried setup with a PC and MAC using IE, Safari and Chrome Browsers with no luck.
And the Netgear knowledge articles are no help.
Thanks for your assistance.
Message 3 of 8
Rsusca
Tutor

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. you're 6 generations of firmware out of date. Update your firmware and factory reset. 

2. I linked to the ap setup instructions. See the section I highlighted. States that you can only access/connect to the extender wirelessly when in AP mode. the only wired connection you can have to the extender is the router in AP mode. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Rsusca wrote:
The instructions I’m following can be found here:
https://kb.netgear.com/30677/Installing-the-EX6200-setup-as-an-Access-Point-following-the-on-screen-...

These instructions *might* work if you're on the newest firmware. But the instructions I found were from the manual specific to your support site. Try updating the firmware and maybe that'll work. If it doesn't, try the route I outlined. 

Message 6 of 8
Rsusca
Tutor

I updated the firmware and I successfully set it up as an access point!
I feel like an idiot because I knew it had to be something simple that I was missing.

I appreciate your assistance.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you got it working!

If you mark the correct answer as solved, it'll help the next person with this issue. 🙂 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7