× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6200 won't connect to router. No "connect to existing network" option

Kistonewa
Aspirant

EX6200 won't connect to router. No "connect to existing network" option

I have an EX6200 that has worked fine in past. Was working but I needed to change name of SSID on my router. After I did this, it will not find this SSID or the SSID of another router I have. Both SSIDs are seen by my pc & 2 android phones. Did a factory reset. Still can't find any SSID.  I went to do a manual setup as outlined in the manual, however, "connect to existing network" option does not show up. I have all the other options the manual shows under that section of settings.  Is there an option somewhere else in setup that needs to be changed in order for me to have option of connecting to an existing network.? I am wanting to use as an access point for a printer. Do not need extender function.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6200 won't connect to router. No "connect to existing network" option

I guess I'm a little confused. If you're setting it up in access point mode, it doesn't connect to an existing network. It should be harwired into that network via ethernet. So it won't go through those settings in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 7
Kistonewa
Aspirant

Thank you for clarification. Obviously don't know what I am doing with part of this. Last time I set it up was several years ago. Had been using to connect a couple devices to internet that don't have wifi capability. I thought it could could access mode wirelessly.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

There's a support site with access to manuals, firmware, install guides, etc.
Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/
Type in your model number and from there it'll take you to the above.
Its a great resource to start with.

Message 4 of 7
nielsvds
Luminary

Connect to an existing network is only when you have setup the EX6200 as extender. Otherwise you create a new SSID (new network name) and you should connect to that new one which will have a different pasphrase that you need to enter to be able to connect. When you changed the SSID of your current router and you want extend the range you need to do the WPS process and not connecting the extender to your router. You can find that information in the manual from page 16 - page 20. You need to download the usermanual.

Message 5 of 7
Kistonewa
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions.  Our current Wifi router is 2nd Gen Eero Pro and does not support WPS.

ken

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Eero doesn't recommend using any 3rd party extenders with their equipment as it can create conflicts within the eero. 

If you read through their support, there's tons of issues of users trying 3rd party extenders and it not working with the eero setup. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7