× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6210

Gernella
Aspirant

EX6210

Not so much a problem more a clarification.  I bought this following the old tv dying and buying a smart one.  We have never had any problems with the internet and it wasn't until we got the tv and it wouldn't connect that I realised that we had a poor connection downstairs when a tv got involved.  The BT router is situatuated in an upstairs bedroom, which at the time was where all my computer stuff was back in 1995.  It's a 30ft square bungalow  with dormers at the back and solid walls.

I had to go through the connection via a browser, which works fine and I now have two extra connections because of the dual band modem, and both at full bars.  When I'd finished, I just went downstairs stuck the the Extender in the plug at the back, put the cable in and into the tv and stood back to admire.  As soon as I looked down the Extender was down to red.  I tried a few more sockets around the room with the same result.  The first socket I got that gave a full signal was upstairs in the other bedroom and a  socket which is more or less on top of the tv.  I suppose I was expecting just to set it up and just put behind the tv downstairs.  Is this  a normal result or have I done something wrong somewhere along the line.    

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Gernella
Aspirant

Re: EX6210

Well it looks like the extention has now settled down.  All green and tv got wifi, even showing my Synology Nas Drive. So looks like nothing further required, hopefully.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Well my first question goes to you stating its a dormer with solid walls. The reason I'd like clarification is that solid walls as in concrete/brick materials block wifi signals to an amazing amount. If thats what you have, an extender is going to struggle if it works at all. 

also when you state upstairs and downstairs, its it a 2 level or is there a main leve with an upper and lower level? 

Message 2 of 8
Gernella
Aspirant

There is just a ground floor all solid walls and the upper floor with dormers for two bedrooms and another bathroom.  All solid walls apart from the piece that runs along the front of the house upstairs, a studded wall separating the the roof space from the bedrooms. 

The extender where it is situated is working quite well and constant, although a bit warm,the router is working just as before, a bit eratic, although until we got the tv I never really took much notice as long as we were connected.  I suppose 43 year old wiring doesn't help much either and the BT extension to the upstairs bedroom was done by me when I first got a computer so it's a wonder it still works at all.

I wondered if I had gone for something more expensive I could have put a direct cable into the tv from it..

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

again, when you say solid walls, What do you mean? Solid as in concrete/brick or solid as in studs and sheetrock?

What router are you using?

Message 4 of 8
Gernella
Aspirant

Brick outer skin with inner layer breeze block.  The router is Bt Smart Home Hub 6.  I've been trying to set up channels this afternoon and the Internet is still flaky on it.  Full bands on my laptop but tv internet drops out and yet it is now one of of the new connections.  My other half is not good on technology (brilliant on other stuff, but then he is 82) so a barely functioning tv after a large expense does not go down well. Similarly if you drop back to terrestial stations the picture is also flaky until it settles down.  It's a Samsung, which I have since read does have internet problems.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Gernella wrote:

Brick outer skin with inner layer breeze block.  The router is Bt Smart Home Hub 6.  I've been trying to set up channels this afternoon and the Internet is still flaky on it.  Full bands on my laptop but tv internet drops out and yet it is now one of of the new connections.  My other half is not good on technology (brilliant on other stuff, but then he is 82) so a barely functioning tv after a large expense does not go down well. Similarly if you drop back to terrestial stations the picture is also flaky until it settles down.  It's a Samsung, which I have since read does have internet problems.

brick and concrete do an amazing job of blocking wifi signals. If your interior walls/floors are made of this, its going to block most of the signal. powerline, a moca adapter (ethernet over coax), or an ethernet connection will be your best bet. 

Message 6 of 8
Gernella
Aspirant

What is annoying is that the tv is in the same room where a laptop and Surface are used and they don't have any problems with wifi.  So is it  the tv.  May be back to the tv dealer might be the first option before more money is spent.

Message 7 of 8
Gernella
Aspirant

Well it looks like the extention has now settled down.  All green and tv got wifi, even showing my Synology Nas Drive. So looks like nothing further required, hopefully.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7