× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6250 | AC1750 mesh extender halving internet speeds

Nivekk
Follower

EX6250 | AC1750 mesh extender halving internet speeds

Hi, my extender seems to be connecting well and I'm getting good wifi speeds (300mbs) but my internet speeds are being halved when the extender is on (from 42mbs to 22mbs). My firmware is also the latest version. Is there a problem with my device?
Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6250 | AC1750 mesh extender halving internet speeds

No its just how an extender functions. 

if you think about bit it makes sense. 

An extender has to receive and then retransmit the wireless signal. And it can't do both at once (in standard extender mode). so it cuts throughput in half and increases latency.

Fastlane can help with that a little because it dedicates one of the bands to go router---extender communication. But that takes 1 radio out of service and only leaves the other for connection. Plus with 2.4ghz being the slower band, either you're slowed down connecting to the router, or slowed down connecting to devices. 

the tri-bands mitigate it big time because they have a 3rd radio just for router----extender communication. and its a 5ghz radio so its higher throughput than 2.4ghz. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7