× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6250 Extender - Unplugged, now cannot set back up, cannot remember original user name and pass

EL1957
Tutor

EX6250 Extender - Unplugged, now cannot set back up, cannot remember original user name and password

I have been working with a Guru level tech named Michael over in the router area, as I could not find the extender area.  He has given me many valuable suggestions, but none have worked.  I unplugged my extender about 1 1/2 wks ago to clean, and now cannot re-set it up.  I have rebooted my system in the order Michael suggested.  I have plugged the extender into the wall and into my computer via the router using an ethernet cable.  I have reset (supposedly - I pushed a paper clip into the factory reset opening for over 7 seconds, and more than once when it didn't work the first time) my extender to factory settings.  I have been to every Netgear support site re: trouble shooting my extender, but found many of them to be supremely unhelpful.  I cannot remember my original username and password, which I assumed would be negated by my resetting to factory standards, but my Nighthawk app still wants me to put them in.  I've tried the generic "admin" and "password" to log into the app, but that does not work either.  The Netgear password recovery site told me to type in my username and password in order to recover my password...what???  I've attached a screenshot of that page.  My extender is all lit up with pretty green lights, but I habe been unable to set it up as either a new device or using Anywhere Access - they want my username and password, and won't, as I said, accept the generic ones.  I have gone into my wifi settings for my iphone and have done everything suggested: given access to the Nighthawk app, turned off cellular for the app, called my internet company to make sure my router isn't set up as a bridge (it's not).  I have never, ever today, after HOURS of trying, been able to see Netgear under my iPhone wifi settings, and have never been able to log into the app.  I remember when I first set the extender up several months ago, I had absolutely NO problems.  Now I'm at my wits end.  Can anyone help?  Thank you.

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6250 Extender - Unplugged, now cannot set back up, cannot remember original user name and pass

The EX6250 has an ethernet port. Directly connect a pc/laptop to that port. disable the wifi on the pc/laptop. This ensures the pc/laptop doesn't default back to the wifi during setup. you can try the reset again as well. push and hold reset while powered on for 15 seconds. 

Then type the mywifiext   .   net               for setup

try the defaults again.

default login: admin

password: password

lower case

Message 2 of 6
EL1957
Tutor

Hello, and thank you.  I did this - sort of - already.  I used a PC, as I have no laptop.  But I could not connect an ethernet cable directly from the extender to the PC - I had to hook it up to the router, which is connected to the PC - because my PC has only one opening/plugin for an ethernet cable.  And the PC has no 'wifi'; it is connected directly via ethernet cable to the plug in my wall.  If I disconnect the PC's internet cable in order to plug in the extender directly to the PC, then I will have no internet in order to go to the website you referenced. 

I did try this sequence with the extender plugged in and connected to the router via ethernet cable (after I had reset it to factory settings)/connected to the PC, but the website you referenced said I was not connected to 'wifi', which of course I could not be, since the PC is not on wifi - it generates the wifi (right?)...IF I'm understanding this correctly...which I may not be!  If I disconnect the PC's ethernet cable from the plug in the wall and plug it into the extender directly, then I will have no internet, correct?  I did try to reference that website with a device connected to wifi - my iPhone - but the website again said I was not connected to wifi.  See why I'm tearing my hair out?  I think I may be missing something essential here, but don't know what it is.  Sigh.  Just an FYI - I don't have cable/DSL/satellite internet; instead, I have radio wave internet.  The plug in the wall that the ethernet cable is plugged into is connected to an antenna on my roof, which communicates with some type of tower a few miles or so away.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

When you're setting up the extender, it isn't connected to the internet until you set it up. 

to set it up you hardwire a pc/laptop to it. the pc/laptop shouldn't be connected to the internet. 

That's why you connect the pc to it. It forces the laptop/pc to connect to the extender so you can go through setup. 

Message 4 of 6
EL1957
Tutor

Ahhhh...!  Thank you VERY MUCH for that explanation - I will try it and reply back to you re: its success.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

good luck!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7