× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6250 setup with Installation Assistant won't connect

randycamp
Tutor

EX6250 setup with Installation Assistant won't connect

I am having an issue in the last step of setting up a EX6250 using Installation Assistant. I get to the point of connecting to the extended wifi, but cannot connect. The Client Link LED is on during the setup, but the Router Link LED is never illuminated. I'm on a Windows PC, and when I select http://mywifiext link the IP address is not found. I can see the extended network, but it has limited connection. IP address is not found when I try to connect on my phone and other wireless devices. What have I missed?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6250 setup with Installation Assistant won't connect

I would start with setting it up with wpa2. otherwise you'll want to change it later. might as well do it right from the start. 

After that, try and set it up using the installation wizard

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

why are you using wep security? switch to wpa2. its more secure. 

what router are you connecting to? 

i usually don't recommend setup via wps button but I'd try it in your case. I'd also switch your router's security to a more secure method. 

Message 2 of 6
randycamp
Tutor

I can switch to WPA2, but would prefer to have one variable in this equation. Do you think WEP is a casue of the issue?

My router is a Actiontec MI424-WR, rev C. It does not have a WPS option.

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I would start with setting it up with wpa2. otherwise you'll want to change it later. might as well do it right from the start. 

After that, try and set it up using the installation wizard

Message 4 of 6
randycamp
Tutor

@plemans Thanks for the advice! Once I switched to WPA2 and ran the Installation Assistant, the same as I had done before, the setup worked as expected. Any idea why WEP would not work?

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

not sure why it wouldn't work with wep as it should but i'm happy it forced the switch. wep isn't secure 

https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/feature/Wireless-encryption-basics-Understanding-WEP-WPA-and...

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7