× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6400 lost connection with Orbi RBR50

j3schwartz
Aspirant

EX6400 lost connection with Orbi RBR50

Systems that connect to both the RBR50 and the EX6400 are Mac systems running the latest software updates. Xerox printers running the latest firware.

Netgear EX6400/AC1900

Hardware version: EX6400

Firmware version: V1.0.2.140

Netgear Orbi

Hardware version: RBR50

Firmware version: V2.5.0.38

Conditions of use:

Needed an ethernet bridge for a connection to a remote printer. Buying another Orbi Satellite at $280+ was untennable. The EX6400 was a better choice at ~$130+.

Summery:

For the last year, approximately, the EX6400 "had" been connected to the RBR50 without issue. Now, although connections to the EX6400 by a device are possible, the EX6400 will not connect to RBR50.

Steps taken:

1. Tried using the 2.4 gHz band only, and on a different channel than is already used on the wireless network

2. Tried using the 5 gHz band only, and on a different channel than is already in use on the wireless network

3. Reset to factory settings re-setup as a fresh device

4. Updated the firmware and tried steps 1, 2, and 3 again

5. Tried setting up EX6400 with a laptop connected via an ethernet cable

6. Tried setting up EX6400 with a laptop connected via an WiFi connection

Questions:

1. Are there some "hidden" admintrative functions that can be accessed to help with greater customization of connections?

2. Is there a commandline to the EX6400?

3. Has anyone, currently, been able to make the connections work and what was done to facilitate that connection?

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX6400 lost connection with Orbi RBR50

Hello j3schwartz,

Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed description of your issue and troubleshooting steps you've already taken. I'd like for our support team to get in contact with you for further investigation. If you're interested, please send me a message with your contact info and serial number(s). 

Thanks,

Christian

Message 2 of 4
j3schwartz
Aspirant

Christian_R,

I PM'ed you my contact info. Problem still exists; unable to connect the EX6400 to my RBR50 where once I was able to do so without issue. If I have time I'll run a trace using Wireshark and see if that can provide more info.

--j3schwartz

Message 3 of 4
j3schwartz
Aspirant

Based on an indepth discussion with Netgear support, it has been determined that I may have a faulty EX6400. I've been sent a replacement and I'll update the discussion when the new unit has been installed and tested.

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7