× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6400v2 How do I confirm devices are connected?

jdefazioaz
Tutor

EX6400v2 How do I confirm devices are connected?

Hi, I set up my AC1900 extender using the Nighthawk software on my tablet. Since One WiFi Name keeps the identical name as my existing network, does this automatically connect any device that is already connected? Or does it require manually going into settings on each device and "re-connecting" to the network, even though it shows the same name as before?

IOW, how can I tell by looking in my device settings whether that device is connected? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can log into the extender and see what devices are connected. 

Its not the extender that decides what connects to it. The device (phone/tablet) decides whether to connect to the router or the extender based on its roaming setup. 

Message 2 of 8
jdefazioaz
Tutor

Hmm...well ok: logged into the software, went to devices, and, NO devices listed. 

So I need the dummie's step-by-step how to connect devices. The quick start says: "After setup the One Name feature is enabled, which allows your extender to use the same WiFi network settings as your router." It then has a table showing that, in my case (using the Nighthawk software) the "existing router" name is the same as the "extended WiFi" name.

Great. But nowhere does it explicitly walk you through HOW to connect your devices to your "new" network, which of course has the same name as your "old" network.

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

so when its running in mesh with the same ssid function, you DON"T choose which to connect to. The devices do based on their roaming specifications and capabilities. 

If you want to turn off the one ssid function, then you can choose whick to connect to. 

Message 4 of 8
jdefazioaz
Tutor

Apologies, but I have no idea what SSID function is. To recap:

1) I set up using the Nighthawk software.

2) When you do that, the network names remain exactly the same.

3) So for example, my phone looks exactly like it always has, it says it's connected to my network.

4) But when I go to "device manager" on the software, the screen is blank, which seems to me there are no devices connected.

Again, the quick start guide does not provide a step-by-step description of how to connect devices. It only says that the network name stays the same, if you used the software. 

Also, I have seen things saying NETGEAR_EXT should now be an available network. I don't see this in the list however. Should I be seeing NETGEAR_EXT on my devices under available networks? Perhaps that is a clue. I'll try to go back and start the setup again.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@jdefazioaz wrote:

3) So for example, my phone looks exactly like it always has, it says it's connected to my network.

4) But when I go to "device manager" on the software, the screen is blank, which seems to me there are no devices connected.

Again, the quick start guide does not provide a step-by-step description of how to connect devices. It only says that the network name stays the same, if you used the software. 

Also, I have seen things saying NETGEAR_EXT should now be an available network. I don't see this in the list however. Should I be seeing NETGEAR_EXT on my devices under available networks? Perhaps that is a clue. I'll try to go back and start the setup again.

Again, when you set it up with the "onessid' or mesh function it uses the exact same ssid as the router. And the devices decide to connect to the router or the extender based upon the roaming spec

https://kb.netgear.com/000045269/What-is-Smart-Roaming-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extender

Message 6 of 8
jdefazioaz
Tutor

You said: "Again, when you set it up with the "onessid' or mesh function"

I have no idea what that means. In the QS guide there are two ways to "connect your extender to your existing WiFi network.":

1) Connect with the Nighthawk app

2) Connect with WPS

I chose the Nighhwak app. In fact, I just looked through the entire QS guide and the letters SSID do not appear anywhere. I'm sure it means something to you but I have no idea what it means. 

@plemans wrote:

@jdefazioaz wrote:

Again, when you set it up with the "onessid' or mesh function it uses the exact same ssid as the router. And the devices decide to connect to the router or the extender based upon the roaming spec

https://kb.netgear.com/000045269/What-is-Smart-Roaming-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extender

I'll email Netgear directly and wait for help.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

EX6400 is a mesh extender. It means that by default when you're setting it up, it sets up with mesh. Mesh means that it uses the same ssid and wireless password. SSID=wireless name. 

When you do the setup using the app/browser/wps, its default setup uses this. You can log into the extender and change its settings if you don't want to use it as a mesh extender and just use it as a standard extender. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7