× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6410

JOHNFB
Tutor

EX6410

My NETGEAR EX6410, bought March 2021, sometimes loses connection.  I have deleted the App, reinstalled it, and then all works again.  But this time no joy - WiFi on my iPhone cannot see NETGEAR_EXT?  So extender not found.  I'm not a young whizzkid, so I would appreciate any advice - Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

What are the led's on it doing? 

What router is it connected to? 

What firmware is on it? 

do you realize the EX6410 is a mesh extender? in its default configuration, it uses the same ssid as the router and doesn't show up seperate

Message 2 of 5
JOHNFB
Tutor

Hi plemans,

All four lights are on:

Router Link/ Client Link/ Power/ wps

All solid green. 

It is a Virgin Media router, (HUB 3.0  VMDG505) if that makes any sense to you??

For firmware, that I do not know? Apologies, but technically, this is a bit over my head.

When you mention that EX6410 is a mesh extender, SSID, and doesn’t show up separate  

- you have lost me there, I’m afraid.

Thanks,

John

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

So a mesh extender, in its default configuration will have the same ssid (wifi name) as the router. Its designed to do that so you don't have to choose which network to connect to as you're roaming through the home. It lets the phone/tablets own roaming protocols decide which one to connect to. It's supposed to simplify things for users. If you set it up using WPS or with default settings in the installation assistant, that's how it'll setup. 

To connect to it, log into your router and look at its attached devices page (or equivalent). It should show the extender and what its ip address is. Try connecting to that ip address. 

Message 4 of 5
JOHNFB
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

With my very limited knowledge, I have spent a few hours on this, and with your help have tried to  understand what has gone wrong?  I contacted as well the IT Support chap at my company, he dropped by last night, and in a couple of hours had got me back sorted, and on-line, and with the extender working again!  So now everything in my world is okay - but I would like to thank you for your help in trying to rescue me, and wish you all the best for the future!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7