× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX700 wifi dropping signal

DaveInFL
Aspirant

EX700 wifi dropping signal

Hi there,

I have 3 Netgear devices in my home.  One is the C7100V that I recently put in place to replace my Comcast Modem.  As far as I can tell this is working fine and WiFi is working fine on this device.  Firmware version is V2.01.45, which seems to be fixed by Comcast and I have no way of updating it.  This device is my router.

I also have 2 EX700 WiFi extenders.  One is downstairs in my family room and one is upstairs in my office.  Both places are hard wired and I have multiple devices connected to each extender via ethernet cable.

I have both of these set up in Mesh mode.  I mainly work in my office and my laptop is hardwired, so connectivity is fine.  My wife uses a laptop in the kitchen (WiFi) and also her iPad/iPhone and she is telling me that the WiFi stops working from time to time.  I've also noticed this on my phone too, and when I use the laptop in the kitchen.  I have also seen my phone switch to celluar data 😞  So, kind of frustrated that WiFi keeps dropping several times a day.

I have also tried the EX700's in AP Mode but that also seems to have WiFi issues.  Right now, my office EX700 is showing that the 5G from the router as grey, so assuming that means that the 5G signal is not reaching the office EX700.

Anyway, looking for some help as to how to stop the WiFi from dropping. I have just ordered a Netgear Mesh Extender EX7300 so I can extend my network onto the patio area, where the signal is weak, but fear these WiFi drops will affect that too.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
manisrah4
Aspirant

1.Check the power system. Maybe it`s just problem with electicity.
2.Driver versions? Did you update your EX700?

Message 2 of 10
DaveInFL
Aspirant

The power system is not an issue as there are multiple devices connected to the same power source as both EX700's.

The firmware version on both is the same: V1.0.1.94_1.0.172

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. Netgear doesn't have an EX700. based off firmware and your listing, you must mean EX7000

2. When the extenders are hardwired into the router and are setup as an extender, it can cause issues/not work properly. If you're hardwiring them into the router, they need to be in AP mode. (It'd also be the fastest mode)

2. If they're in AP mode, they don't function as a mesh device with their smart roaming. They need to be on separate wireless channels to prevent interference. You can use the same SSID (I wouldn't) like with a mesh network but it won't roam like a mesh network as devices will tend to stay connected until the signal deteriorates to the point of unusable or the device disconnects, reconnects. 

3. Daisy chaining extenders (over wireless) also can be an issue. Not a problem if you're hardwiring them in but if you're using them wireless and in mesh mode, they can end up connected to each other and cause issues. its why I recommend people move to an actual mesh system like Netgear Orbi or MK nighthawk when they're needing more than 1 extender. 

So try this. 

Hardwire in the access points. Use a different ssid's from the router and make sure you've spread out the wireless channels you're using to prevent interference. Try that. 

Message 4 of 10
DaveInFL
Aspirant

Appreciate the reply, however, I don't want to have separate SSID's as that is what I had before and that was hard for my wife to grasp that the house has multiple networks and depending upon where she is in the house she needs to ensure she is on the right network, if the phone/ipad doesn't automatically switch over.

That is why I went with the Mesh Network, so it would be transparent.

You stated that is the extender is hardwired to the router that causes the mesh network not to work, why? I am curious.  There doesn't seem to be anything (that I could find) on the Netgear website that indicates not to do this.  I'm not sure why that should be an issue too, hardwire and WiFi are separate.

So, I really don't want to go back to the AC mode and different SSID's.  Hoping someone else can shed some light.

Also, yes, EX7000, sorry, too many zeros for my eyes.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Smart roaming is a function of both the device and the router used. The device itself chooses when to roam from router/extender. In access point mode, it disables the smart roaming of the extender. It could be because they have to be on seperate channels (or should) to prevent interference. Or it could be because netgear doesn't want to eat into the Orbi/MK market. Not sure exactly why and haven't gotten a clear answer from Netgear other than it doesn't function when ran in AP mode. 

So if you want to run them with single ssid function, connect them wireless to the router and run them that route. 

If you're going to hardwire them in and setup  your own "mesh" using the same ssid, you'll continue to have issue. 

The only consumer devices from Netgear that support mesh in both wired and wireless backhaul are the Orbi/MK series. 

Everything else only works in mesh over wireless. 

Smallnetbuilder did a while 5x series on smart roaming and you're welcome to read through it for more info. 

Wi-Fi Roaming Secrets Revealed - SmallNetBuilder

Again, I'll reiterate that if you're setting up the extenders in wireless backhaul, to avoid daisy chain. Each link in the chain cuts their throughput in half. 

Message 6 of 10
DaveInFL
Aspirant

Ok, thanks for the reply and the added information.  Not what I was expecting so kind sucks that I'll need to buy new products to have the ability to use hard wire and WiFi mest extender.  I can try going totally wireless but not sure how well that will work as the router and the extenders are fairly far apart, but I can certainly try it.  Assume that if the extender is not hardwired I can still connect other devices to the extender via ethernet cable, such as PS5, etc. It's just that the connection from the PS5 to the router will be wireless, even though connected to the extender via ethernet right?

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

You can hardwire in devices to the extender. It works well and is a great performing extender. 

They'll actually perform better hardwired in than if they were connecting to the extender wireless becaues they won't take the same throughput loss. 

Message 8 of 10
DaveInFL
Aspirant

Another question on this.  Shoould II keep my 2G and 5G SSID's different or keep them the same?

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

@DaveInFL wrote:

Another question on this.  Shoould II keep my 2G and 5G SSID's different or keep them the same?

It all depends on what you prefer. Some prefer to let their devices roam based on their own protocol while others prefer to be able to choose to be on extender/router and which band. 

So it all comes down to personal preference

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7