× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 AC1900 Access Point (Failed to Obtain IP Address)

Eric_Cartman
Guide

EX7000 AC1900 Access Point (Failed to Obtain IP Address)

Hi All im hopelessly frustrated with my EX7000 AC1900 Access Point 

Set up as an Access Point (Your access point is up and running)

It works on both 2.4 and 5ghz for a few hours before it disconnects and on my devices when i try to connect to the AP i get "Failed to obtain IP address" or just shows "connecting"...then "disconnecting"

At this point I turn the AP on and off . It then again works fine for a few hours before the same again. 

My Router Nighthawk X6 Ac3200 is set to Get  IP Dynamically from ISP  and I can see the AP is set to 

Any help at all fellow Nighhawks?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Another message I get is when i try to connect one of my devices to the AP is

"Authentication error occurred"

Message 2 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Eric_Cartman,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. To confirm, the extender is wired to the router and setup in access point mode, correct?

3. Have you tried changing the cable that connects the router to the extender or switch to a different port on the router/extnder?

4. When you say "resetting", do you mean pressing the reset button to do a factory reset or just powering down the device?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

1. What is the firmware version of the extender? Most up to date.. I check each day there was an update yesterday i Loaded 

• Hardware Version EX7000
  • Firmware Version V1.0.0.66_1.0.126

2. To confirm, the extender is wired to the router and setup in access point mode, correct? correct wire from Nighthawk X6 AC3200 via switch to EX7000 access Point

3. Have you tried changing the cable that connects the router to the extender or switch to a different port on the router/extnder? Not yet but I can ! Ill try that tommorrow i just put the ehternet into the top cable empty port from the switch . 

4. When you say "resetting", do you mean pressing the reset button to do a factory reset or just powering down the device? Just powering down the device... it works amazing well for a few hours after a power cycle

Message 4 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Eric_Cartman,

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted if you have tried swapping the cables and/or ports as well as the factory reset.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Cheers Dexter

So I swapped the Ethent cable i Had going into the EX7000 Access Point from Port 1 to Port 5

Strange enough it went from glitching every 2 or 3 hours to nearly 8 hours without a problem. It just started doing the same thing today so i restarted it and if starts to knock devices off ill do a full factory reset thanks for advice

Message 6 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

So today .... 3 Android Phones connect perfectly to EX7000 AP and Laptop also...

AP wont work on just 1 device (Failed to Obtain IP Address) 

Time for Factory default settings. ill let yous guys know how i get on

Message 7 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

So I did a factory reset of me EX7000 AP with latest firmware uploaded and also I updated my second EX7000 Range Extender in the back of house to the latest firmware which i had not done. I wonder could one EX7000 AP with its updated fireware could of caused conflict with an EX7000 in range extender mode on the older fireware?

So far the X6 Ac3200 and both EX7000's are working quite stable. Will check back in a few hours with uodate!

Message 8 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

So the update the 2.4 signal from the ACCESS point started to stop working after about 6 hours. Device tries to connect for
about 1 minute "connecting then Getting the "failed to obtain ip address message again "
Funnily enough the 5ghz ACCESS point is still running fine from the ex7000 same access point. I have approx 30 devices on the 2.4 network so I'll disconnect some and see if any difference. Can't think of anything else it could be
Message 9 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Also just noticed a tablet is still attached to the ex7000 AP also.
Message 10 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Eric_Cartman,

Thank you for all the updates. Is there a way you can remove the switch from the equation and connect the extender in AP mode directly to the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Hi Dexter. It's a bit of work but I am happy to do anything to get to bottom of problem.
I also have an ex7000 in extender mode. Which gives the similar symptoms. Before i do the wired direct Would there be also any merit in swapping both ex7000s over and and reprogramming them to see if the other extender after it turns to AP does the same on the same Ethernet cable ?
Message 12 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Download speed from ex7000 ACCESS point
Via 5ghz is all ways around

Download 260 MBPS
Upload 36.6 MBPS
Message 13 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Eric_Cartman,

Yes, swapping the two extenders with varying configurations will also help in drilling down on the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

All Ready on it dexter
Message 15 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Ok so I disconnected the extender ex7000 and took upstairs to do the swap with the ex7000 ACCESS point. I got delayed but low and behold the ACCESS point ex7000 has been working flawlessly for about three days on 2.4 and 5ghz since I powered off the extender version ! So there must be some correlation there ?!?
Message 16 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Eric_Cartman,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 17 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Hi Dexter

Ill Pm you now, I actually never swapped the EX7000's BUT what i did do was return the EX7000 Extender to its original position near back of house and power up. And INSTANTLY the EX7000 AP began to disconnect devices that were connected to the AP i turned off the Extender and the AP seemed to stabilise somewhat after a brief moment.

I dont see any conflicts with Radio bandwidth channel

Router X6 AC3200

-2.4 Channel 6

-5ghz channel 44 (smart connect enabled)

-5ghz-2 channel 11

EX7000 Extender Mode (Shares same radio frequency as above Extender)

-2.4ghz channel 6

-5ghz channel 44

EX7000 Acess Point Mode

-2.4ghz channel 1

-5ghz channel 112

Message 18 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

I noticed also i just restarted my EX7000 AP while looking around in its user online page connected via ethernet to laptop.

when it restarted i couldnt reconnect i noticed it then discovered since power down it had changed its IP address

Should these Netgear EX7000s be connected via Static or Dynamic IP address if that could be a factor at play also or does it make any difference?

At the moment my router X6 Ac3200 is set to dynamic as well as both ex7000s

Message 19 of 24
M-J-B
Aspirant

Hello guys, I thought I have to comment this thread with my recent experience. I had lots of problems with my previous generation Netgear wifi range extender EX6200 performance until I got tired of firmare updates, product replacements and endless support emails and threw it away. The EX7000 I have never had any problems with, and the performance has been great until now. I actually haven't used it for about one year but today I found the need. No problems setting it up, everything ran smoothly until I noticed this evening that a firmware update is available. After firmware update I constantly receive the "failed to obtain IP address" issue regardless of how many factory resets or different configurations I try. The box is now totally useless in my environment trying to connect with a Huawei B525s router. In my view it has to be a dodgy firmware update but sadly I can't recall which version I upgraded from so I am unable to revert back to the old version regardless of the security issues it had.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 20 of 24
M-J-B
Aspirant

Small update: Now I downgraded to EX7000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.66 and everything is back to normal, but the knowledge of unpatched security bugs doesn't make me happy.

Message 21 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Hi mjb but does that not defeat the purpose of the firmware update. Too make it run better? I updated too. The ex7000 went a bit funny but after I rebooted my router was ok.
Message 22 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @M-J-B,

We are looking into this and will provide an update once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 23 of 24
Eric_Cartman
Guide

Just an update:

Since turning BOTH EX7000's to ACCESS Point Mode they are both working great. I never got to the bottom of the Access Point / Extender Conflict but happy enough that they are both working great in Access Point Mode. 

Would definitly recommend the EX7000 as an extender!

Many thanks to Dexter, Glendill and all the rest of the team from Netgear Support for their patience and helpfulness!

A Happy Netgear Customer

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7