× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 As Access Point SSID Naming

TimLarken14
Follower

EX7000 As Access Point SSID Naming

I have a C7100V DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router + Voice with Xfinity in the basement.  I have an EX7000 connected to it on the first floor with a Cat5 connection.  The 2.4 frequency on both has the same SSID (named F2) and the 5.0 frequency have the same SSID (named F5).  They seem to share the SSID name OK.  My first question is, Is there any risk of having the same SSID's?  I have a cat5 wire run to my barn and also to the second floor on the other end of the house.  I have 2 old N routers at each of those spots.  I am considering buying 2 more EX7000's to alos run in Access Point Mode with the cat5 connections.  I currently log into the router with www.routerlogin.com and log into the EX7000 with www.mywifiext.com.  My next question is, If I have 3 EX7000 Access Points, how do I login to each one if I would need to make an update? Would I have to know the IP address?  My final question is , What would happen if I name the SSID's the same for the 2.4 (F2) and the same for the 5.0 (F5) across all of the devices? Would the WIFI connection switch between AP's as I move throughout the house? 

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: EX7000 As Access Point SSID Naming

@TimLarken14 wrote:

My first question is, Is there any risk of having the same SSID's? 

The main risk is that the client devices might switch back and forth if they are in the overlap area for coverage. Most clients won't have that problem though - there are lots of places where there are multiple APs with the same SSID (hotels, airports, etc), so generally speaking clients handle this pretty well.

@TimLarken14 wrote:

My next question is, If I have 3 EX7000 Access Points, how do I login to each one if I would need to make an update? Would I have to know the IP address?  

If you connect to the extender network, then mywifiext.net should always get you to the correct extender.  But I suggest reserving IP addresses in the router, so you can manage the extenders from any location.

@TimLarken14 wrote:

What would happen if I name the SSID's the same for the 2.4 (F2) and the same for the 5.0 (F5) across all of the devices? Would the WIFI connection switch between AP's as I move throughout the house? 

It should, but there might be times when you need to manually reconnect - for instance, toggling wifi off/on in the new location.

Another approach (likely more expensive) is to go with an Orbi system.  Not sure how many satellites you'd need to cover the entire space.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7