× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Completes Network Setup But No Internet Connection and Unable to Access

Chrispanola
Guide

EX7000 Completes Network Setup But No Internet Connection and Unable to Access

Hello,

I've seen posts related to this, but all unresolved or dead threads.

My AC1900 EX7000 extender connects to my home Xfinity Network Utilizing an TG4482A Arris Router (XB7-CM generation).  I want to enable this extender to broadcast both bandwidths (2.4 & 5) so that I can have certain devices get priority bandwidth.

Currently, when I run the setup both wirelessly and with Ethernet connection using the mywifiextDOTnet setup assistant, I am able to configure and set up these networks, however at the end when I am supposed to be able to connect to the extender-generated networks (E.g.: "MyWifi_5GEXT"), I am unable to connect to either one.  On one instance, I was able to connect to 2.4, but I did a reset in order to get both bandwidths functioning.

This worked previously on an Arris gateway I used with my previous ISP.

Steps I've tried:

1) Wireless Setup

2) Ethernet Setup

3) Troubleshooting steps per recommended documents including router placement, factory resets, firmware updates/downgrades

4) Many factory resets.

Current Firmware version: V1.0.1.112_1.0.196

Signal Strength is excellent on both networks.

On the information page for mywifiextDOTnet, both bandwidths state "(No Connection)" for each bandwidth.  Connection Status reads as Connected.

Client lights are lit up during Ethernet-based setup, but once disconnected Client light (the up/down arrows) turn off.

At a lost for what other steps I should be taking to resolve this.

I'd be grateful for any help someone might be able to offer!

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7000 Completes Network Setup But No Internet Connection and Unable to Access

When you're setting it up with it hardwired, you'd be setting it up in access point mode. In access point mode, it needs to be hardwired in. 

So if you don't plan on using that, don't run setup with it hardwired in. 

If you're setting it up in extender mode, you'd use that installation assistant but try disabling the one wifi (mesh feature) so you can set it with its own ssid. 

Message 2 of 11
Chrispanola
Guide

Thanks for the advice and response, plemans.

Tried your suggestion, but am still unable to get a good result using the wireless setup.

Behavior I see once I've pressed the WPS buttons on the gateway and extender:

1) 2.4 and 5 bands light up green with strong signal, plus client light-- stays like this for about 15 seconds.

2) Next, the lights all go out, and 2.4 lights up green again, with not other lights.

3) 5Ghz then lights up a few seconds later.

4) Final State: both bandwidths are lit, but no client light is currently on.

Open to any suggestions.  Thanks again for your time!

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Did you connect a device to it? The client lights come on when you connect a wireless device to it based on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz channel. 

And the status page isn't showing anything connected. 

Message 4 of 11
Chrispanola
Guide

That's correct, there is nothing connected, which is the main issue I'm experiencing.  The setup executes to the point of having the extender networks up and running, but nothing will connect to the extender network.  Phones, PC, laptop-- nothing works for getting on the extender and completing the installation.

I get to the point where it says "to complete the installation, connect to one of these networks and check this box," but I'm never able to advance beyond that step because I'm unable to get onto the network.

In the past, I was able to log on to the extender wifi network and complete it with no issues.  Not sure what I might be missing...

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Your settings page is showing its up and running. So its completed installation. 

And that you're using it in the "one wifi" setup. Meaning it has the same exact ssid as the router. 

So there's not a separate network to connect it. Your devices roam to it as needed based on their own roaming protocols. 

Message 6 of 11
Chrispanola
Guide

Thanks again for taking your own time to hash this out with me, plemans!

So, if I understand you correctly then, even though I'm on the wifi network, which is extended by my EX7000, I should not be concerned that I am not seeing the client light lit up:

Chrispanola_0-1663160700420.png

Totally open to not understanding this correctly, I just wanted to be sure I had that right before closing out this thread.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

If something connects, it will light up. An easy test is to disable the one wifi feature (mesh) and set it with its own ssid. 

Then when a device connects, you'll be able to see that it connects. 

Or walk as far away from the router as you can (in direction of extender). Turn off the devices wifi and turn it back on. 

then check to see if it connected to the extender. It won't force it to connect as its roaming protocols might still say its faster to be connected to the router but its one way to see if it negotiated connecting to the extender. 

Message 8 of 11
Chrispanola
Guide

So I've done quite a bit of testing with different devices, and unfortunately connection to the extender is never being triggered with my devices that are further away from the router.  I live in a three story townhouse where previously I've been able to get 2.4Ghz throughout the entire house, but right now all of my devices that are further down in the home are disconnected and not connecting to the extender.

I'm out of ideas at the moment.  Would you have any other suggestions besides a factory reset, since this is something I've done a few dozen times?  Or is there a different way of going about this?

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

You can simply disable the one wifi feature and use it as a separate network. 

Message 10 of 11
Chrispanola
Guide

Hey plemans,

This was one of the first steps I tried, but I tried it again today just for the sake of being sure I attempted everything.  It still does not work.  The networks are created but they do not allow connection from any other devices.  There is no connection when entering credentials for the extender network when it has a separate SSID. 

I genuinely appreciate you trying to help me, but I think we've reached the end of our ability to troubleshoot this issue.  Netgear has no interest in trying to help their customers even though I never used support upon my original installation of this on a previous generation of modems just a few months ago.  So, now it's bricked and obsolete just because I changed ISPs, within less than 6 months of ownership and purchasing this brand new, which feels spiteful since the company chooses radio silence rather than trying to help customers know if there are compatibility issues.

There is clearly some detail in the firmware or communication spec that is not compatible between these two devices.

For anybody reading this in the future:

The EX7000 does that work with the XB7 gateway from Xfinity.

1.  OneWifi doesn't work.

2.  Separate SSIDs doesn't work.

3.  WPS Mode doesn't work.

Do not buy this product if you intend on using this with Xfinity in 2022 and beyond.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7