× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Connection dropping out everyday

Mr_Claw
Aspirant

EX7000 Connection dropping out everyday

My Problem:
Every day the wifi will disconnect, the ssid will disapear and the orange light will appear on the extender instead of the green one and only by powering down the Ext does it restore the connection and ssid. Then internet coming into the house is fine, as soon as the Ext goes offline my phone will connect to the router downstairs albeit poorly. The wifi drop out is getting worse by the week and is driving me crazy!

I've tried:

Reinstalling the firmware, relocating the Ext, changing the wifi channel, removing all signal interferring devices away and shouting at the extender.

How I'm connected:

From the main router an ethernet cable to the upstairs wallsocket, from that socket ethernet cable in to the Wifi Ext. An ethernet goes from the Ext to my PC and the wifi to all the out of normal range wifi devices.

Any help with this would be extremely welcomed! 

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
168bill
Luminary

Hi,

This is a VERY long ongoing issue that has never yet (to my knowledge) resulted in an official update relaease of the firmware that fully resolves the issues.

A good thread (though very long) to understand all of this is:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7000-Wifi-Range-Extender-Dropping-... 

If you look on page 1 of the thread you will find instructions on how to revert back to the firmware version that was working fine until a new release came out that introduced some new functionality. Reverting back to the earler version definitely improves things massively if you only want to use the basic extending features of the EX7000, which from your post I think is the case.

I have cut and pasted to below the revert  instructions from the above thread to simplify for you. I would however, highlight the importance of doing a hard reset of your device after reverting the firmware. You will experience some weird problems if you don't.

It’s simply a bugged firmware update. 

Regardless, the problem is easily solved. 

Use a Windows laptop for this.

On laptop, download the previous firmware version 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.zip

Extract it on your desktop.

Log on to mywifi.net as usual and downgrade to the previous firmware version (browse for the downloaded chk file). Confirm you want to do this. 

Use a sharp pencil and hard reset your device. Connect again to the Default NETGEAR Ext WiFi network, and we things up, first admin username and password for the mywifi.net site and then SSID and password for the network, as usual. If you use FastLane, skip the automatic option and go do it manually,  it’s easier. Anyway, once you set it up then it works just fine, like others here mentioned.

Hope this helps.

--

Bill.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
168bill
Luminary

Hi,

This is a VERY long ongoing issue that has never yet (to my knowledge) resulted in an official update relaease of the firmware that fully resolves the issues.

A good thread (though very long) to understand all of this is:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7000-Wifi-Range-Extender-Dropping-... 

If you look on page 1 of the thread you will find instructions on how to revert back to the firmware version that was working fine until a new release came out that introduced some new functionality. Reverting back to the earler version definitely improves things massively if you only want to use the basic extending features of the EX7000, which from your post I think is the case.

I have cut and pasted to below the revert  instructions from the above thread to simplify for you. I would however, highlight the importance of doing a hard reset of your device after reverting the firmware. You will experience some weird problems if you don't.

It’s simply a bugged firmware update. 

Regardless, the problem is easily solved. 

Use a Windows laptop for this.

On laptop, download the previous firmware version 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.zip

Extract it on your desktop.

Log on to mywifi.net as usual and downgrade to the previous firmware version (browse for the downloaded chk file). Confirm you want to do this. 

Use a sharp pencil and hard reset your device. Connect again to the Default NETGEAR Ext WiFi network, and we things up, first admin username and password for the mywifi.net site and then SSID and password for the network, as usual. If you use FastLane, skip the automatic option and go do it manually,  it’s easier. Anyway, once you set it up then it works just fine, like others here mentioned.

Hope this helps.

--

Bill.

Message 2 of 3
Mr_Claw
Aspirant

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your reply and the information, i will give this a try tonight and see how it goes!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7