× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 DHCP Not Working

Mcfr05ty
Follower

EX7000 DHCP Not Working

So, I've had issues with DHCP not working with this extender since I got it over a year ago, a few months ago I rolled the firmware back to the initial release (1.0.0.30), and that seemed to fix the issue wholesale.

Night before last we had some pretty severe storms and the power went out for a second, since then the extender refuses to assign IP addresses via DHCP. Setting a Static IP on the device I wish to connect works.

My router is one of the Arris AT&T U-verse DSL gateway and router combo units. I have a linksys extender connected to that, and the EX7000 is connected to that. This setup DID WORK, and quite well, the issue is with the EX7000, as if I do not set a static IP I cannot even get into the extenders settings page via mywifiext.com. I am forced to use such a configuration as AT&T has deprecated it's DSL services and will not run new service to my home, on top of that, they do not offer any other services at my address, neither do any other ISP's. So I must extend from my grandfather's house, only ~100 feet away. The DSL modem and Linksys extender are there, the EX7000 is in the closest point in my home to the Linksys extender.

Here's a list of things I've tried to rectify the issue:

1: Restarting the extender ("Have you tried turning it off and back on again?")

2: Factory Resetting the extender

3: Updating the firmware to the latest release, then factory resetting

4: Re-downgrading the firmware to the initial release, then factory resetting

5: Setting a Static IP for the extender (Linksys DHCP is working, I can connect to it no problem, so this was pointless)

This is not the first time I've had issues with DHCP. It seems that most networking equipment I possess, at one point or another DHCP stops working. Went through several ATT modem/routers, some Netgear, some Arris, a D-Link wireless router, and now this Netgear extender. I'm wondering if it's an issue inherent to the design of DHCP hardware, or if most networking companies just cheap out on said hardware.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
additude
Virtuoso

Re: EX7000 DHCP Not Working

That setup that you have is basically prone to issues just because of your stretched distances.

Most people forget that in order to complete a WiFi connection, they need to have both a valid Transmit and Receive origin.

Simplest analogy is that an "Extender" may be able to reach a Laptop with it's signal, but the Laptop cannot reach the "Extender" with it's signal...

So I would suggest first, to put all four equipments within close proximity to each other and see if that resolves your issues. It can include or remove the distance issue. Then isolate each equipment and see that each of the equipments seperate DHCP can lease an IP locally to a laptop or something. Even a cell phone. Turn each piece of equipment off to isolate it and remove it from the possibility of causing WiFi interferance.

I know that you said that you are convenced that it's the EX7000 that will not lease an IP. You did not mention if you had tried to lease an IP from more than one piece of equipment.

There is no easy answer to an issue such as this inside of a configuration like this.

My approach would be to isolate and verify.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also not be daisy chaining Extender off each other. Extenders are main designed to work to extend the primary routers wifi signal, not from another extender thats already extending a signal. 

Some have had problems with recent FW. Other mention that the best version seems to be v66.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Mcfr05ty wrote:

So, I've had issues with DHCP not working with this extender since I got it over a year ago, a few months ago I rolled the firmware back to the initial release (1.0.0.30), and that seemed to fix the issue wholesale.

Night before last we had some pretty severe storms and the power went out for a second, since then the extender refuses to assign IP addresses via DHCP. Setting a Static IP on the device I wish to connect works.

My router is one of the Arris AT&T U-verse DSL gateway and router combo units. I have a linksys extender connected to that, and the EX7000 is connected to that. This setup DID WORK, and quite well, the issue is with the EX7000, as if I do not set a static IP I cannot even get into the extenders settings page via mywifiext.com. I am forced to use such a configuration as AT&T has deprecated it's DSL services and will not run new service to my home, on top of that, they do not offer any other services at my address, neither do any other ISP's. So I must extend from my grandfather's house, only ~100 feet away. The DSL modem and Linksys extender are there, the EX7000 is in the closest point in my home to the Linksys extender.

Here's a list of things I've tried to rectify the issue:

1: Restarting the extender ("Have you tried turning it off and back on again?")

2: Factory Resetting the extender

3: Updating the firmware to the latest release, then factory resetting

4: Re-downgrading the firmware to the initial release, then factory resetting

5: Setting a Static IP for the extender (Linksys DHCP is working, I can connect to it no problem, so this was pointless)

This is not the first time I've had issues with DHCP. It seems that most networking equipment I possess, at one point or another DHCP stops working. Went through several ATT modem/routers, some Netgear, some Arris, a D-Link wireless router, and now this Netgear extender. I'm wondering if it's an issue inherent to the design of DHCP hardware, or if most networking companies just cheap out on said hardware.

I get that you're trying to extend this via wireless. If you're only running 100ft you could bury either an underground rated ethernet cable or a underground rated coax cable (use moca adapter) to extend your distance. Probably $50-75 for the wire. For added protection you could put it in a conduit but it isn't necessary because it isn't high voltage. Buried a line around 100ft with it being a foot deep for a project I was doing. Its been running for 4 years without issue.  

If you did this you could either put a router in AP mode or even just one of your extenders in AP mode and use it. Less latency and speed loose due to using multiple repeaters.  

Message 4 of 5
nicknn
Aspirant

Dude. It's an extender not a router. It doesn't have dhcp. How is your linksys extender connected to the main router. If its via Ethernet cable that would be good. I would give the access point created by Your linksys a different name to your main router. Your netgear extender would then extend this new wireless network. Use static ip addresses for all your devices on this network that fall in the dhcp range of the main router. Static ip for the extenders too. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7