× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Extended WiFi connections not available after unit reset

EWzar01
Tutor

EX7000 Extended WiFi connections not available after unit reset

Running Windows 10Pro with Nighthawk AC2300/E7000 and EX7000 Range Extender. Prior to EX7000 default reset, unt was connected to router via netgear switch. Both the _Ext wireless nets were available in the home. Now, since the reset, there is no _Ext networks to choose from. I cannot connect to the Range Extender via Ethernet cable to laptop. I have tried numerous resets with no success. Any ideas on what my problem and or solution could be?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

what firmware is on the ex7000?

It has both mesh functions (same ssid as router) and smart connect. Smart connect combines the 2 ssid's into 1 and lets devices roam between the 2. 

Are you using these functions?
Since the EX7000 is hardwired in, did you set it up in access point mode? 

Since changing to a new router, have you tried factory resetting and reinstalling the extender? Make sure to install it with access point mode (using the installation assistant)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What router is it connected to? (you put e7000, do you mean R7000?)

Are you connecting it using wps to the router? 

What are the led's on the extender doing? 

Message 2 of 6
EWzar01
Tutor

Thanks for your response. Sorry, I've been delayed in responding. Chores and house repairs have me busy.

What router is it connected to?

Yes, my bad. My router is: AC2300 Nighthawk, R7000P-100NAS

Are you connecting it using wps to the router?

Yes, I used the WPS setup per instructions

What are the led's on the extender doing?

Both of the LED indicators are solid green.

I have the EX7000 extender connected to the R7000P router via wired Cat5 through a switch. The router lives in my remote workshop and the extender is inside the house. This setup worked great; both the 2.4EXT and 5EXT networks were available since I installed it. But when my previous router (R7800) failed and replaced with the Nighthawk, the extender started acting wierd. Right now, I have WiFi in the house but the networks are named ###2.4 and ###5.0.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

what firmware is on the ex7000?

It has both mesh functions (same ssid as router) and smart connect. Smart connect combines the 2 ssid's into 1 and lets devices roam between the 2. 

Are you using these functions?
Since the EX7000 is hardwired in, did you set it up in access point mode? 

Since changing to a new router, have you tried factory resetting and reinstalling the extender? Make sure to install it with access point mode (using the installation assistant)

Message 4 of 6
EWzar01
Tutor

plemens, you've provided great discussion content that has allowed me to noodle down to the solution. I've been able to successfully reset the EX7000 so that both of the ###EXT networks are visable. Moreover, I've leraned why my previous attempts ended in failure. It was necessary to initially connect (wired) the EX7000 to my laptop, with its wireless turned on, and also to the R7000P router. With the laptop browser (Mozilla), I was able to get the setup screen to splash and reset the EX7000. Thanks again for all of the help.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

glad you got it up and running!

If you mark it solved, it might help the next person (and prevent others from trying to "fix it" still)

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7