× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 | Firmware Upgrade EX7000-V1.0.1.78 | Failure to connect to internet

JayGi
Follower

EX7000 | Firmware Upgrade EX7000-V1.0.1.78 | Failure to connect to internet

Just spent an entire day trying to troubleshoot an error encountered after upgrading my firmware to EX7000-V1.0.1.78. I've configured my device to extend a 5GHz network not broadcasting SSID. Manually input SSID, configured to use FastLane:
Modem<-5GHz->EX7000<-2.4GHz->Devices

The 2.4GHz channel had a different SSID, same password. Static IP for the EX7000 on the 5GHz network.

I could intermittently connect to the EX7000 with a cable and get internet - but it failed after a couple minutes. Had to downgrade the firmware, and then factory reset the EX7000 to get functional internet again. Not to mention the installation process was redirecting me all over the place, including to www.msftconnecttest.com? WTH is that all about?

Hasn't happened to me before, and based on the fact that an identical user configuration works on the previous firmware, I want to say this is a firmware bug.

So, now I'm stuck with an extender that has known security holes, but cannot upgrade because it defeats the purpose of the extender.

PS. Why does a network appliance have a non-encrypted web interface? Why does it come out of the box with an open, unencrypted Network SSID? Would it have been too difficult to configure it to have a protected wifi, and put the default factory password on a tab on the device? Or at least have the setup interface run over https, so that users aren't transmitting their network credentials in the clear?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@JayGi wrote:

I've configured my device to extend a 5GHz network not broadcasting SSID. 

Security by obscurity 8-)

And even worse, now all your WiFi STA (clients) will send out and try all network names stored attempting to get a connection. A bad idea, influenced by the WiFi war driving times decade(s) ago.

@JayGi wrote:

Manually input SSID, configured to use FastLane:
Modem<-5GHz->EX7000<-2.4GHz->Devices

The 2.4GHz channel had a different SSID, same password. Static IP for the EX7000 on the 5GHz network.

I could intermittently connect to the EX7000 with a cable and get internet - but it failed after a couple minutes. Hasn't happened to me before, and based on the fact that an identical user configuration works on the previous firmware, I want to say this is a firmware bug.

Yes. Could be caused by the hidden (non-broadcasting) SSID, or by something going wrong in the FastLane mode. While my EX7000 set-ups in AP mode (wired uplink) are luckily running, we discovered that some of the new features like Smart Connect with 802.11k might or might not yet be ready for this mode (it asks to connect to the same wireless by wireless, ignoring it's configured to be an AP).

@JayGi wrote:

Not to mention the installation process was redirecting me all over the place, including to www.msftconnecttest.com? WTH is that all about?

Welcome to the world of captive portals - that's a part of Microsoft Windows captive portal detection process. Netgear does announce a captive portal, which does pop-up a dedicated browser window, and override any URL the user might have configured as a default - to ensue the user is guided to the right point. 

@JayGi wrote:

Why does a network appliance have a non-encrypted web interface? Or at least have the setup interface run over https, so that users aren't transmitting their network credentials in the clear?

Because it's not designed for it for example. Implementing https properly does require much more code, so much more Flash storage, plus some additional processing resources. And as you are security a geek, a correct https session can't be established without checking the certificate validity - what requires an Internet access, which is not available during the initial set-up.

@JayGi wrote:

Why does it come out of the box with an open, unencrypted Network SSID? Would it have been too difficult to configure it to have a protected wifi, and put the default factory password on a tab on the device?

Because of the extenders come out of the factory and the box without a randomized network name and a random generated network key - plus no serialisation of the (protected) default config. And then does Netgear manufacture wireless extenders in very small enclosures, with almost unreadable labels without glasses or the help of a mobile phone camera - so changing this would require various things. However, this won't change all the units in the field and on the shelves. And changing is not Netgear's strongest capability. Yes, thier routers on the other hand have it all for several years.

Last but not least, once there is a WPA2-PSK protected wireless connection, you can change the security information - not many people will have the ability to get into this protected session, or tap your wired/switched LAN, or the router..

Message 2 of 8
Lab22
Aspirant

I just had this same issue after firmware upgrade. No internet connection. My extender was working fine but now is not. How do I resolve this issue?
Message 3 of 8
LordPurple
Star

Adding my $0.02 - I also recently upgraded to FW V1.0.1.78_1.0.140 and it resulted in a non-working extender.  It's been happily working for two years, most recently with FW V1.0.0.62_1.0.122 upgraded in May.  I'm using it as an extender for a Netgear C3700-100NAS base.

After receiving the email about the security fix I upgraded using the extender UI.  Afterwards, it seemed to reconnect to the C3700 (I was logged in via a computer ethernet-attached to the C3700 base, so it was provably connected at least in that direction), however devices which connect to the extender are no longer able to get to the base.  Connected devices complain that the access point "has no internet connection" (e.g. iPhone 8, Win10 laptop), or are not able to connect via WiFi at all (Amazon cloud cam, Nest).  After several power cycles I reset to factory settings using the reset button, after which I was not able to connect to it at all.  I used a wired connection to reconfigure it, and now it's back to being "partially" connected - can log in via the DHCP address from something connected to the base, but devices either can't connect to the extender via WiFi (either band) or connect and say "no internet".  Note that running Genie on a laptop connected to the extender fails to log in (the WiFi drops), though I can log in to the regular web UI.

In the extender UI, it says it is connected to the base (both 2.4 and 5 Ghz), for example:

Connection to Existing Network (2.4GHz)

• Signal Strength: 144 Mbps
  • Name (SSID): FT-xxxxx-2G
  • Connection Status: Connected

But it is useless - devices either can't connect to the WiFi or can, and sense no internet.  But clearly the connection to the base is established as I'm able to log in to the extender UI from the base. 

I guess I'll be downgrading the firmware also, what a waste of time.  I think there's an Eero setup in my near future.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Message 4 of 8
LordPurple
Star

Just an addendum for those who get bitten by this bug - I downgraded the firmware, reconfigured, and it is back to working normally.  Definitely something about the V1.0.1.78_1.0.140 firmware is broken, at least for my mode of use.

Message 5 of 8
Lab22
Aspirant

Thanks; I am a novice (62 years old) at these upgrades. Thought I was doing the right thing by doing the upgrade.
Would someone explain the steps to going back to the old version so I can get my extender working again. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Message 6 of 8
LordPurple
Star

Lab22: from a PC, download an older firmware version here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7000.aspx#download (make sure to select older versions - FYI I went back to 1.0.0.62 since it was my last known working - the .66 version may be fine too).  Extract the ".chk" file from the downloaded zip file to somewhere handy.  Log into the extender (any way you can, direct wire if needed) - and go to the firmware tab and use the "Upload Update File" box - browse to the ".chk" file you extracted and click Upload.  After a few minutes the router should reboot - you may need to go through setup, or it may revert to your last working settings.  Good luck!

Message 7 of 8
AlesFajgelj
Initiate

Thanks to all who provided hint on software downgrade. I had the same problem last week. It was unbelivably frustrating. After changing software version back to Firmaware 1.0.0.66, which is very easy, extender works as before and is actually excellent. I do not understand why NETGEAR is not removing the new version of Firmware or change it to a functional one.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7