× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 - NEED TO REBOOT EVERY DAY

WMCastro
Tutor

EX7000 - NEED TO REBOOT EVERY DAY

I have the "NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS)" implemented in my house wireless network. This device works fantastic but it lost connection every single day. I work from home, so I need this device to be connected constantly. After weeks of investigations, I believe I have done everything possible. I have downgraded the Firmware to different versions, but the device is not reliable.

The only solution I have found is by rebooting this device every day and it works the way that is suppose to work. Based on this, I need to find a way to reboot it automatically so I can avoid any manual actions.

Please help!

Thank you.

Message 1 of 27
WMCastro
Tutor

Re: NEED TO REBOOT EVERY DAY

This is getting worst since I had to reboot the EX7000 twice last night. It was lossing all connections Wire and Wireless. I need help to resolve this situation as soon as possible. This is my first Netgear device but having this problems is not good. 

Thank you.

Message 2 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi WMCastro, 

Please try moving the extender closer to the router to see if the issue persists. 

~Christian 

Message 3 of 27
WMCastro
Tutor

No, It did not help. The strange thing about this is that sometimes the Wifi is down on some devices but not all of them. In addition to this, I have two devices connected via Ethernet and they go down but the wifi still alive or viceversa. It is really frustrating and does not make sense at all.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help with this matter. 

Message 4 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

WMCastro - I have sent you a message. Please respond at your earliest convenience. 

~Christian 

Message 5 of 27
tonyblakie
Tutor

I'd be interested in the resolution/outcome of this as I have recently purchased one of these and have so far had to restart it once in the few weeks since finally getting it to work after almost giving up on it.

Message 6 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the main host router the NG extender is connected too?

What is the distance between the main host router and the EX unit? 

What channels are you using on the main host router? 

@tonyblakie wrote:

I'd be interested in the resolution/outcome of this as I have recently purchased one of these and have so far had to restart it once in the few weeks since finally getting it to work after almost giving up on it.

Message 7 of 27
tonyblakie
Tutor

I have a BT Home Hub 6 and they are about 10m away from each other.

And, incidentally, it's "locked up" again and needs rebooting.

Message 8 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless modes are you using on the main host router? 

Try manual channels 1, 6 11 or 13 on 2.4Ghz on the main host router. 

Try factory resetting the EX and setup from scratch. This time after it's setup, move the EX a bit closer, say 1 or 2 meters closer to the main host router. 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? 

@tonyblakie wrote:

I have a BT Home Hub 6 and they are about 10m away from each other.

And, incidentally, it's "locked up" again and needs rebooting.

Message 9 of 27
PjLL
Aspirant

So would I.  I have an EX7000 acting as an access point on my wired network and it crashes.  I never had a problem with my old TP-LINK and thought the EX7000 was a step up.  Evidently not.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 10 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@PjLL wrote:

I have an EX7000 acting as an access point on my wired network and it crashes. 

Bet you were a nice customer and have updated to the current EX7000 firmware - which is 1.0.1.78.

We had and have - like many others having issues (being as an extender, being as an AP) - to roll back to the previous 1.0.0.66, to a factory reset, and reconfigure it from scratch.

If this does not resolve the issue e.g. some clients which can't associate - "crashing" is very generic, do the LED show a reboot behaviour, similar to a cold boot after applying power - get in touch with the Netgear customer support via my.netgear.com -> My Account -> My Support -> Contact Support

Message 11 of 27
tonyblakie
Tutor

• Hardware Version: EX7000
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.1.78_1.0.140

Yes, looks like my version is this - although I certain when I first got this I did the upgrade then had to do a factory reset and downloaded an earlier firmware version (I've found the downloaded zip in my downloads folder still: EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.zip).

So you believe this earlier version is more stable?  If so, I'll try rolling it back again.

Thanks

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 12 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@tonyblakie wrote:
  • Hardware Version: EX7000
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.1.78_1.0.140

EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.zip).

So you believe this earlier version is more stable?  If so, I'll try rolling it back again.

Yes, and that's not just me ...

Message 13 of 27
agonter
Initiate

I'm having the same problem with poor download speeds from the ex7000 when set up as an access point.  It's connected via ethernet to my nighthawk R7000 router.  Speed test this am was 80, then i unplugged it.  Was getting 240 after that.  This happens every few days.  Is there a setting that would fix this issue?

Message 14 of 27
tonyblakie
Tutor

I did as the previous poster advised and rolled back to the previous 1.0.0.66, to a factory reset, and reconfigure it from scratch.
It now seems stable again.
It's quite appealing customer experience really have to do this.
Joe Public with little or no computer experience would never be able to use one of these.
The other reason I did this was because the response I received from support was like a page long of config and settings to try on my main router (not even the problem hardware!!) and even change the channels it used on both frequencies.
My other big concern is the force an update hinting it contains a security update and it makes it worse.
Very poor netgear.
Thought my previous experience with an Asus extender was bad... This isn't any better at the moment I'm afraid.
Please provide the 1. 0.0.66 firmware update with the security fix.
Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 15 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

"It's quite appealing customer experience really have to do this." 

So you did enjoy the experience? 

@tonyblakie wrote:
I did as the previous poster advised and rolled back to the previous 1.0.0.66, to a factory reset, and reconfigure it from scratch.
It now seems stable again.
It's quite appealing customer experience really have to do this.
Joe Public with little or no computer experience would never be able to use one of these.
The other reason I did this was because the response I received from support was like a page long of config and settings to try on my main router (not even the problem hardware!!) and even change the channels it used on both frequencies.
My other big concern is the force an update hinting it contains a security update and it makes it worse.
Very poor netgear.
Thought my previous experience with an Asus extender was bad... This isn't any better at the moment I'm afraid.
Please provide the 1. 0.0.66 firmware update with the security fix.

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

roll back to the previous 1.0.0.66, to a factory reset, and reconfigure it from scratch.

@agonter wrote:

I'm having the same problem with poor download speeds from the ex7000 when set up as an access point.  It's connected via ethernet to my nighthawk R7000 router.  Speed test this am was 80, then i unplugged it.  Was getting 240 after that.  This happens every few days.  Is there a setting that would fix this issue?

Message 17 of 27
tonyblakie
Tutor

oops...unfortunately not...auto-spell correction...

meant "...appalling customer experience..."

Message 18 of 27
Xerxel
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Lasts for about a week then locks up. Why is there no log? Is there a secret webnpage with the system log or a secret SSH login to view the log?

• Hardware Version EX7000
  • Firmware Version V1.0.1.78_1.0.140

Strangely, I have two devices on the same network which both lock up at the same time. Also, I recommended the same device to my parents and theirs also does exactly the same thing since the firmware upgrade. Man Mad

Will try a factory resent then reconfigure from scratch then if that doesn't work will try to roll back firmware.

Model: EX7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Access Point
Message 19 of 27
tonyblakie
Tutor

Yes, I also looked for the logs when initially trying to debug this... Others seem to have one.
Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Roll back to the previous 1.0.0.66, to a factory reset, and reconfigure it from scratch.

@Xerxel wrote:

I have the same problem. Lasts for about a week then locks up. Why is there no log? Is there a secret webnpage with the system log or a secret SSH login to view the log?

• Hardware Version EX7000
  • Firmware Version V1.0.1.78_1.0.140

Strangely, I have two devices on the same network which both lock up at the same time. Also, I recommended the same device to my parents and theirs also does exactly the same thing since the firmware upgrade. Man Mad

Will try a factory resent then reconfigure from scratch then if that doesn't work will try to roll back firmware.

Message 21 of 27
beerski
Aspirant

Same issue here, couple of times a week it needs a manual reboot as it stops providing internet access but is still a visible WiFi connection. Using as an additonal wired access point for my R7000. Bought to replace a pair of NETGEAR EX6120 as they also had issues where they stopped working and needed a reboot. Think I am going to have to try a different supplier and return this if not sorted soon.

Message 22 of 27
mike_oz
Initiate

I had this same problem that was infuriating me for months and i'm about 99% sure that i've finally figured it out.

My EX7000 needed a reboot every 2 days along with my main router.

Here it is:

Make sure your EX7000 has a static IP address and reserve that IP address/MAC address in your main routers settings. Also set IP lease time to 2880 in the DHCP settings.

For example my network looks like this:

- Netgear CG3100 Cable modem with internet coming into this modem - 192.168.0.1

WIFI and DHCP disabled on the cable modem.

- Ethernet Cable from the cable modem to a TP-Link Archer VR900 - 192.168.0.2

DHCP enabled on this router giving out addresses from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199

EX7000's IP address and mac address added to the reserved list.

- Netgear EX7000 Range Extender - Fixed ip address of 192.168.0.3

DNS address copied from the cable modem

Gateway address is the cable modem (192.168.0.1)

I've now been running this for over 1 week with no reboot.

Pretty convinced its fixed and thought I would share.

Message 23 of 27
tonyblakie
Tutor

I saw this but haven't yet had a chance to try it... Has anyone else found this is the solution?? 

Message 24 of 27
mike_oz
Initiate

I can confirm this has worked for me.

I have not had to reset since.

I'm am certainly not an expert but my theory with the EX7000 is that it has trouble renewing its IP address once it expires.

What happens with IP addresses is that after a certain period of time they will renew from your router.

That is why a reboot is fixing it, until the next time of course.

Default time for renewal is usually 1440 (minutes) on most routers I believe, by setting it to 2880 (the max on my router) its doubling that time.

Second part is by reserving the IP and mac address of the EX7000 it is somehow helping that renewal to be successfull (hence not requiring the manual reboot)

I have also set my main router to do an automatic reboot every 3 days at 3am (not sure if this is also helping).

Again, i'm no expert....but it has been smooth sailing since.

You should definately give it a go if your still having issues.

Message 25 of 27
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7