× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 Nighthawk ext. Not accessing C6300 or resetting

NickyG
Aspirant

EX7000 Nighthawk ext. Not accessing C6300 or resetting

1. I believe that the device might be faulty... but, this could be user error.  I followed the directions for connecting the ex7000 to my network (both options: using WPS and no for "not sure" by utilizing my computer and smartphone...) "netgear_ext" does not show listed as an option for the wifi connections on the devise (Galaxy phone and Laptop) and will not connect (Link Rate LED's will not turn green- they stay amber).  I've reset my C6300 router, downloaded the "nighthawk app" (which was pointless), and checked my network map on my C6300... the nighthawk does not show as an option.  I've also tried factory resetting and using the WPS on the back of the extender- both don't seem to do much either.  I've tried holding the reset button for 7 seconds... that did nothing.  I then tried holding it for over a minute... still nothing.  It didn't reboot, no lights blinked... nothing.  The arrows blink green constantly, but the 2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz connections stay amber.  The only botton that seems to do anything to the extender is the power button.  Please help....
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7000 Nighthawk ext. Not accessing C6300 or resetting

by "the arrows" do you mean the device to extender leds?

The wifi amber lights mean the connection back to the router is "good". Green is optimum and red is poor. 

have you tried connecting a device to the extender via the ethernet port and logging into it that way? I'm not a huge fan of wps

I also wouldn't trust the app. Try using the browser to log into the router and the extender. It tends be a bit more reliable in my experience. 

Message 2 of 9
NickyG
Aspirant

Yep, the arrows on the extender blink green... almost in one second incriments.  The wifi signal portion (both for the 2.4 and 5 mhz) stays amber.  I will try using an ethernet cable later tonight and let you know how it goes.  thanks for responding!

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@NickyG wrote:

Yep, the arrows on the extender blink green... almost in one second incriments.  The wifi signal portion (both for the 2.4 and 5 mhz) stays amber.  I will try using an ethernet cable later tonight and let you know how it goes.  thanks for responding!

The green arrows signify a device connected to the ex7000 and data transmitting. The wifi lights are the connection strength back to the router.

From the sounds of it, its connected back to the router and is transmitting data between router---extender---device. maybe it just has the same ssid. 

Message 4 of 9
NickyG
Aspirant

That might be... and i wondered that.  However, the 2.4 and 5 wifi displays are amber (during startup, they show green- then glow amber).  The directions state that they should be green if they have a good connection... Also, the directions state that you should connect to the Netgear EXT....but my phone or laptop can't find the device.  Would it show in my system map (devices that are connected to the main routher C6300)?  

Message 5 of 9
NickyG
Aspirant

@NickyG wrote:

That might be... and i wondered that.  However, the 2.4 and 5 wifi displays are amber (during startup, they show green- then glow amber).  The directions state that they should be green if they have a good connection... Also, the directions state that you should connect to the Netgear EXT....but my phone or laptop can't find the device.  Would it show in my system map (devices that are connected to the main routher C6300)?  

I should also mention that i placed the extender about 6" away from the main routher (C6300)

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

@NickyG wrote:

Potentially. But it wouldn't be the first time the attached devices list was wrong. 

Its not just distance that can create interference. 

Try hardwiring into the ex7000. The status page will have more info like connection status/etc. 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@karldeyo wrote:

The directions state that they should be green if they have a good connection...So maybe it doesn't have a good connection if theres interference? Or the connection isn't as good as it could be.   Also, the directions state that you should connect to the Netgear EXT....but my phone or laptop can't find the device.-----maybe when you set it up either via wps or smart installation wizard it copied the SSID exactly using the mesh function. The newer firmware can do that. so maybe your phone/laptop can see it but its the exact same.   

Try hardwiring into the extender. Use this route to access it to see whats going on in its settings page. It'll tell you the connection back to the router, it'll show you ssid name, it'll show you mesh settings, etc. 

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

have you tried factory resetting and re-doing the setup?

Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered up. The lights should change when you've held it long enough. 

Redo the setup by hardwiring into the ex7000

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7