× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 - Range issue

yannis_tz
Aspirant

EX7000 - Range issue

Hi all!

I just purchased the EX7000. I have a problem with the distance from the main router. Receiving signal seems to be around 30-40%. The main router is not that far and I can't move the extender closer to the router or vice-versa, as I share the dsl connection with a neighbour.

I couldn't imagine that the internal receiver of the EX7000 would be that bad..

Is there any chance I could amplify the received signal by using any of the antennas included? Or they work only for transmitting? Any other ways you guys can recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time.

[ Windows10, Latest firmware ]

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Re: EX7000 - Range issue

Hi @yannis_tz,

Please check for firmware upgrade if any and try to reset and reconfigure the extender to see of your issue persist.

Message 2 of 5
yannis_tz
Aspirant

Hi jvasanth,
Thank you for your reply.
I have the latest firmware installed. Does this solve the problem between internal receiver and external antennas? Because I don’t get any better signal reception. I still get the network in 40% when configuring in the best position placement possible.
Fact is that the 2,4Ghz lid is always green which is rather good, meaning that the connection is ok (I use fast lane). But in 40% I would expect it to be orange or something after setup.
Anyway, maybe Netgear should upgrade the internal receiver or use some of the antennas for receiving signal instead of transmitting. Just a thought, I don’t know if that’s possible with firmware updates. It’s a shame to have 5dbi antennas only for transmitting.
Other than that I’m perfectly happy with my extender.
Message 3 of 5
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @yannis_tz,

Upgrading antennas cannot be done via firmware upgrade. 2.4GHz is Green since you get 40% of signal from main network where it'll turn Amber and Red when it drops down and goes OFF when signal is null.

Message 4 of 5
yannis_tz
Aspirant

I’m not saying that dbis can improve with software upgrade. I just suggest that 1 antenna out of the 3 included could be used for receiving instead of transmitting. I wouldn’t know if that’s just hardware or software issue and it certainly isn’t solved with the latest firmware update.
Edit: Can’t choose that as an option from the settings in mywifiext
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7