× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 WIFI issues

jwgarner71
Tutor

EX7000 WIFI issues

I am having issues with the WIFI for my EX7000 ranger extender. The WIFI shows online for both 2.4/5 bands, and my devices are connected, but I receive an error that there is no internet connection. In order to get the internet connection back, I have to reboot the extender. This will temporarily resolve the issue, but I have to reset multiple times per day.

The extender also connected my TV, but as a troubleshooting step, I stopped using the WIFI and ran a network cable from the extender to the TV. Once I ran the network cable to the TV, the connection issues stopped. I then used a network cable to also connect a laptop to the extender, and the laptop stays connected as well. So I am pretty confident saying it is not an ISP issue since I never lose connection with my devices hard wired to the router. I am also pretty confident that the extender is within range of the router for a good signal, since my hard wired devices work as expected. The issue is only present for a device using WIFI to connect to the extender.

I checked and I have the current fireware versions for both my EX7000 extender and R7000 router. I have also performed a factory reset of the extender, and I still have the same issue.

Extender:

Hardware Version: EX7000
Firmware Version: V1.0.1.84_1.0.148

Router:

Hardware Version: R7000
Firmware Version: V1.0.9.88_10.2.8

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7000 WIFI issues

I would actually look at the router first. The R7000 isn't known to have great firmware and when you're running an extender, the router is the key point.

Try installing firmware version 1.0.9.42 to the R7000. Factory reset it afterwards, and then manually re-setup the router. Disable autoupdates. 

Try that first. 

What modem are you using?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I would actually look at the router first. The R7000 isn't known to have great firmware and when you're running an extender, the router is the key point.

Try installing firmware version 1.0.9.42 to the R7000. Factory reset it afterwards, and then manually re-setup the router. Disable autoupdates. 

Try that first. 

What modem are you using?

Message 2 of 8
jwgarner71
Tutor

I will the firmware fix and reply back here.

My ISP is MetroNet, so it is a fiber connection using a AdTran 411 terminal.

Message 3 of 8
jwgarner71
Tutor

I reverted the firmware and the issue is still there. Doesn't appear to have made a difference is the frequency of the drops at all, I'm afraid.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Did you reset the r7000 after the downgrade and manually reinstall it? 

Message 5 of 8
jwgarner71
Tutor

Yes, I did manually reset after the firmware download, as well as reset the extender.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

somethign to check? 

Hardwire in the extender and try it in ap mode. 
Its not definitive but if its stable in that mode, it potentially can indicate a problem with the router----extender link and not extender----device link. 

Message 7 of 8
jwgarner71
Tutor

I think you may be on to something for the router. Since the firmware change, it is now running anywhere for 2-3 hours, then the lights start blinking, it locks up, and I have to reset it. It is about 7-8 years old, so I guess that's about right for the shelf life of this thing and it's time to move on. That, and I may be getting close to getting burned at the stake at home over these drops. 🙂

Doing some research now, and going to replace this with a <to be determined manufacturer> mesh system. Also need to decide if I want to get one with WiFi 5, or try and buy for the future with 6.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7