× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

gliu
Guide

EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

Hello

Range extender recently upgraded to latest release version EX7000-V1.0.1.78_1.0.140. Now the extender keeps on dropping off usually for around few seconds. The signal received from Linksys AP is showing 4 bars on channel 6,2.4ghz.

On my phone connected to same ssid, I can see the signal noise ratio is -68dbm. The next closests AP on channel 6 is -80dbm. I tried moving to other channels like 1,11 but still same issue

My PC is connected extender ethernet LAN cable. I have ping running to Linksys AP.

ie PC--LAN---Extender------wifi ssid 2.4-------Linksys AP

I also have my phone connected to linksys AP on same ssid that extender is connected on

ie mobile--------------wifi ssid 2.4-------------Linksys AP

My phone also has ping running to linksys AP. When the ping on PC drops, I can see extender has lost connection to linksys AP. However, at same time, my mobile is still connected. No ping lost.

This seems to be extender issue and it has only happen after upgrade. I tried downloading to older release but extender doesnt allow install of older release. It simply cant install. So I have reverted back to latest.

I dont have support contract. how to get netgear look into their latest firmware. I have had extender for 2 years now without issue.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 168
JMW001
Star

Definitely - i've been using mine for a couple years without issue - since upgrading to newest firmware it's essentially now a broken device

Message 2 of 168
gliu
Guide

Hi, thx for reply

Just confirming you didnt see issue until upgrading latest firmware?

rgds

Message 3 of 168
JMW001
Star

Absolutely not - i'd been using the extender happily for a while. I happened to change broadband providers recently and as part of that went into the setup to change the wifi source. It suggested the update, applied it and PC's connect ok but no mobile devices can (android/ios)

Just downgraded it to 1.0.062 - resetting it all up from factor reset to see if it helps

Message 4 of 168
JMW001
Star

Ok ...can confirm that restoring it to 1.0.062 and doing full factory reset and reconfig has 'fixed' the issue.

Update --- it 'fixes' it for a short time but it's gone again ... again - PC's seem ok but mobile devices are struggling

Message 5 of 168
schumaku
Guru

Ensure the primary wireless (your Linksys) is rebooted, along with the extender. 

Message 6 of 168
RealPi
Guide

Same issue here. Since the firmware update, anything connected to the extender drops once every hour or so, for about a minute then resumes. There are no issues with my router or modem or internet connection. I have made sure to check that they work fine during the time period the extender drops. 

Message 7 of 168
gliu
Guide

Hi All

I have reverted to 1.0.6.6 and now stable again. Yes, had to do factory default else it wouldn't just let you downgrade. thx for suggestion.

Is there anyway get Netgear involved so they are aware of issue? My support contract already expired

rgds

Message 8 of 168
StephenB
Guru

@gliu wrote:

Is there anyway get Netgear involved so they are aware of issue? 

I've forwarded the issue to some folks, and @schumaku@ alerted some also using the @.  Plus @DexterJB is monitoring the forum.

So they should be aware of it.

Message 9 of 168
drdantru
Tutor

Exact same problem with same extender after firmware update. Caused my router to go off and on only after update.. Called support and they said old extender is messed up now and I need to replace, no support so cost on me. It was the firmware update, before that worked like a charm.

Message 10 of 168
Aussie-Todd
Initiate

Updated to the latest firmware today to get access to the Mesh capabilities, but now the Extender keeps dropping out and back in after 10 seconds or thereabouts. The drop out is frequent, I.e. several times every hour.

No problems with the rest of the network.

Message 11 of 168
JMW001
Star

Nope .... and my router, even though i've rolled back and done factory resets, is still nowhere near as stable as it used to be before this whole stupid episode happened and netgear are ignoring all contact methods i've tried

Message 12 of 168

Also, I did not have any issues with my extender ever until I updated to this rubbish update. Is it possible to be done this update in purpose to brick our extenders and to make us buy new ones?

Message 13 of 168
RealPi
Guide

No, not really. Would you buy a new product from a company which purposefully sabotaged its own devices? It’s simply a bugged firmware update. 

Regardless, the problem is easily solved. 

Use a Windows laptop for this.

On laptop, download the previous firmware version 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.zip

Extract it on your desktop.

Log on to mywifi.net as usual and downgrade to the previous firmware version (browse for the downloaded chk file). Confirm you want to do this. 

Use a sharp pencil and hard reset your device. Connect again to the Default NETGEAR Ext WiFi network, and set things up, first admin username and password for the mywifi.net site and then SSID and password for the network, as usual. If you are going to set up  FastLane, skip the automatic option and do it manually directly,  it’s easier. Anyway, once you set it up then it works just fine, like others here mentioned. 

Hopefully they will fix the bug soon as I’m interested in the security fixes of the latest firmware.

Message 14 of 168
RealPi
Guide

No, not really. Would you buy a new product from a company which purposefully sabotaged its own devices? It’s simply a bugged firmware update. 

Regardless, the problem is easily solved. 

Use a Windows laptop for this.

On laptop, download the previous firmware version 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.zip

Extract it on your desktop.

Log on to mywifi.net as usual and downgrade to the previous firmware version (browse for the downloaded chk file). Confirm you want to do this. 

Use a sharp pencil and hard reset your device. Connect again to the Default NETGEAR Ext WiFi network, and we things up, first admin username and password for the mywifi.net site and then SSID and password for the network, as usual. If you use FastLane, skip the automatic option and go do it manually,  it’s easier. Anyway, once you set it up then it works just fine, like others here mentioned.

Hopefully they will fix the bug soon as I’m interested in the security fixes of the latest firmware.

Message 15 of 168
Shubhoz
Tutor

The exact same problem, I even tried with different combinations of "fast lane" also tried to go back from Mesh topology to simple and old school setup. But still the same problem. I don't understand with these many data points why Netgear is not doing anything before it takes their reputation down.

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 16 of 168
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

We are currently looking into this issue and will provide a response once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 17 of 168
drdantru
Tutor

It’s toast. So disappointed! I’ve reset and still no good. Spends over an hour on phone with tech support on 2 consecutive days. Worked great for over a year. Died upon doing firmware update. I was sent email requesting me to update! I did as have done before, but this time killed it. Can no longer recommend Netgear. Looking for recommendations. Never used anything else before. Unhappy being told “but a new one”.
Message 18 of 168

I did what RealPi posted earlier and my extender is back to normal.

Thank you RealPi.

Message 19 of 168
Guynamedpaul
Initiate

I have been experiencing the same problem. I've had my extender online for a couple months just trying to get some coverage to the other side of the house. But it wasn't until I installed a Ring security camera on the front of the house and paired it with the extender's 2.4 mhz wi-fi frequency that I noticed a problem. The camera doesn't support the 5 mhz signal so only the 2.4 mhz signal will do. The camera worked fine for a couple days and then I checked the Ring app and saw that the camera was offline. I tried to pair the camera to the AC1900 (EX7000) again and the 2.4 wi-fi signal did not appear under available wi-fi frequencies during the pairing process. So I rebooted the EX7000 and the 2.4 mhz frequency appeared again as an option and I successfully paired the camera again. The next morning, the camera was offline again. So this time I also put my iPhone on the EX7000's frequency after repeating the above steps again and getting the camera working again. Of course, the next morning the camera was offline again. I checked my iPhone and it had jumped over to the 5 Mhz wi-fi indicating the 2.4 signal had cut off at some point during the night. I called Netgear Support and since my main router is a Netgear Nighthawk, they had me log-in to the Netgear Genie website using my ip address and go into the main router's Advanced wireless setup. They told me to change the 2.4 mhz channel from Auto to 11 and the 5.0 to 161 and that this should also affect the Extender. I went out to pair the Ring camera again and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was already paired and operating as a result of what we did. But it's 10:00 pm now and I'm not declaring victory yet. We'll see what the morning brings. Feels too good to be true! And let me tell you that dealing with that Indian call center is stressful. I can only understand every second or third word and kept asking her to repeat things. I don't understand why companies are still putting their customers through that hell. It took three times longer than it needed too because we couldn't understand each other.

Message 20 of 168
kimberlyj8
Aspirant

Is there an update on this?  I received my extender this afternoon, had it up and running, and made the mistake of updating.  Now it is a brick.

Message 21 of 168
drdantru
Tutor

I had to purchase another WiFi extender.
Message 22 of 168
Shubhoz
Tutor

Your only option is the downgrading to the previous version. Follow the steps that "realpi" posted above.
Message 23 of 168
kimberlyj8
Aspirant

We don’t have a computer with an Ethernet port anymore, so after over an hour on the phone with Netgear, they told us our only option was to return and buy a new one. Pretty crazy given that it was delivered earlier today.
Message 24 of 168
RealPi
Guide

You don't actually need a wired connection to get this to work but regardless...

This is an older model so upgrading is probably for the best. That said, the previous firmware version is stable and I haven't had any issues since I downgraded.

However I wish Netgear at least pulled the buggy firmware update for now, this is quite ridiculous.
Message 25 of 168
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7