× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

utanmaster
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your write-up. Hopefully this fixes the issue for me.

Message 26 of 168
Shyrage
Aspirant

Followed the instructions you posted and will test out the results.  Thank you

Message 27 of 168
Timp311
Initiate

Updated to the latest firmware to get access to the Mesh capabilities!!!!

but now the Extender keeps dropping out all the time,  and back in after about a minutes, .definintely see this more on the mobile devices...The drop out is frequent, I.e. several times every hour.

EXTENDERS were always stable...I'll downgrade firmware, I really was looking forward to the Mesh Capabilities...Netgear needs to do something about their QA department.  The R7000 and EX7000 firmware were both garbage with bugs galore.

Message 28 of 168
VS228
Tutor

After the firmware update to V1.0.1.78_1.0.140, my range extender shuts down intermittently. Then I have to power off the mains and put it on again. Please fix the firmware quickly!
Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 29 of 168

Try to revert it to the old one as I did and now everything is back to normal. have a look above, someone put the link to the previous firmware.

Message 30 of 168
DLGMAX
Tutor

Any news on an updated firmware fix for this issue? My EX7000 started dropping connections recently like others have been experiencing. I found this thread and checked my firmware and yep, it is version: V1.0.1.78_1.0.140. I have not yet tried to roll back to the last version of firmware, thought I would ask about a fix from Netgear first. Thanks for any updated info/help that can be provided!

Message 31 of 168
RealPi
Guide

No news. The firmware update is bugged. Netgear are pretending to not know about it even though this thread has been talking about this since Sep, so for 3 months.

The only solution is to downgrade to previous firmware, follow my instructions on this thread with link.

I will write a negative review on Amazon, reporting Netgear's behaviour and will also report this on social media, since otherwise Netgear will continue ignoring us. I recommend you do the same thing.
Message 32 of 168
DLGMAX
Tutor

I have to agree, it is crazy for Netgear not to respond to this issue in a timely manner. That is not a very good way to win dedicated and/or future customers.  I will give the rollback a try and hope for the best. Thanks!  

Message 33 of 168
168bill
Luminary

In one of the many other threads on this issue, I posted the following, which totally agrees with everyone on this thread:

"Had exactly the same problems and also resolved them by reverting to the previous firmware version.

There have been a number of threads on this issue, most of which have been marked as solved and closed to further posts, but when you look at the 'solution', it is always reverting to previous firmware version. This is NOT a solution, merely a temporary workaround.

Isn't it about time Netgear acknowledge that there is clearly  a problem and actually do something about providing a real solution?

But I guess marking all the threads as solved improves their stats.........."

Bill.

Message 34 of 168
DLGMAX
Tutor

Yep, a "work around" is definitely NOT a resolution, and should never be considered a permanent fix. The related threads should never have been marked solved and/or closed. Again, how a MFG/vendor treats their existing customers make a big impact on their future customer base.  I sure hope Netgear is working on a fix for this…

Meanwhile, although I have not rolled back to the previous firmware, I did try something I saw in another related thread somewhere, and it seems to make a difference. The info I read stated something to the effect that, they were instructed to set their main router channel selections for 2.4G and 5G to a fixed setting, if I remember correctly it was recommended the setting be in the high numbers. So, just to test the recommendation, I changed my 2.4G setting from “Auto” to the highest number available, 11, and then I set my 5G from something like 36 to 157. Once the settings were saved, I was able to log devices through the extender for hours with disconnecting, something I have not been able to do for a while now. I was still able to do the same today (everything seems to be working fair), but I don’t know how long the stability will last. I plan on trying this workaround a while before I roll back the firmware just to see the results. Maybe the EX7000 firmware update affected its ability to chase channels or something? I don’t have a clue. I definitely don’t consider it a permanent fix tho, should not have to play with settings like this to make an expensive piece of electronics work like it once did. Just for clarification, my main router is a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band ADSL+ modem Rouder DGND3700-100NAS.

Still looking forward to a Netgear fix for the issue!  

Message 35 of 168
Toby_M97
Aspirant

I have carried out these steps and downgraded to the previous version, and reset to factory settings. However my range extender still keeps disconnecting at regular intervals

Message 36 of 168
Guynamedpaul
Initiate

I gave up on it and returned mine to Amazon. They took it back even though I was technically past the return date limit. Then I unplugged my Netgear Nighhawk main router and replaced it with a Deco mesh system. I'll be damned if I was going to buy Netgear's mesh system after the way they mishandled the EX7000 problems. How can I trust their products anymore? They used to be the best name in the wi-fi business, but not anymore. I've had the Deco mesh system for several weeks now and so far it hasn't failed a single time. Sorry, Netgear, you lost a loyal customer over this issue. Now that I know there are other brands offering more reliable service without the annoying India call centers and sub par customer service, I won't be back to Netgear anytime soon. Good riddance.

Message 37 of 168
Boogerman9901
Aspirant

Trying this now..... 

Message 38 of 168
Aussie-Todd
Initiate

At the moment I'd be happy if Netgear just said they stuffed up and it can not be done. To have said, and be seen to have done, nothing after spruiking the "advancement" is just disgraceful. It's not like this happened yesterday, it has been opn-going since the update was released.

Message 39 of 168
Shyrage
Aspirant

So far, going back to the old update is still working for me.  I'm surprised that Netgear has not made a comment as to what is going on on their posts.....

Message 40 of 168
168bill
Luminary

Going back to previous firmware version is still working for me too.

Have given up expecting any sort of professional response from Netgear............won't be buying any more of their kit in future!

Message 41 of 168
JMW001
Star

It's really pathetic. This firmware is still live. They never acknowledged the failure and haven't provided a newer version.
This is my reason for never buying Netgear again. They just knowingly leave a version of software which has now months of evidence of it being catastrophically broken.
Very poor
Message 42 of 168
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello All, 

For users still experiencing dropped connection issues with the latest EX7000 FW, please send me a PM as we have received a trial firmware from engineering that may resolve your issue. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 43 of 168
RealPi
Guide

Hi Christian,

I wouldn't mind giving the beta firmware a try at some point. Please send me a link, thanks.
Message 44 of 168
_Nocturnal
Tutor

Agreed, I would also like to test out the new FW

Message 45 of 168
Timp311
Initiate

id also like to try it ! thanks

Message 46 of 168
sgreene978
Aspirant

Might it potentially work on an EX7000-100NAS?
If so, I’m in.
Message 47 of 168
DLGMAX
Tutor

PM'd Christian earlier today, have not heard back yet. May be Monday before we hear anything back.

Message 48 of 168
8camote
Aspirant

Wouldnt mind trying this out too. Will send you a PM

Message 49 of 168
8camote
Aspirant

Got the firmware from Christian. Anyone tried it yet?

Message 50 of 168
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7