× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

Shyrage
Aspirant

I'm not going to request the new firmware yet.  If anyone has tried this out and is seeing improvement, please let us know

Message 51 of 168
168bill
Luminary

OK, I have downloaded the test version of the firmware and installed it.

• Hardware Version: EX7000
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.1.78_1.0.157_test

I followed the clear and simple instructions and did a full factory reset after the update and then re-entered all of the settings.

And so far, so good Smiley Happy.

The update went a lot more smoothly than previously and up to now, I have not experienced any repetition of the previous drop outs or weird statuses.

Fingers crossed that at last we might have a proper solution to this major issue, just a shame it has taken so long with so little communication from Netgear............I'm assuming that this test is some sort of acknowledgement from Netgear that there was a serious problem with the version that they previously released?

I will keep an eye on things and report back after a longer period of testing, but I'm cautiously positive thus far.

EX7000.jpg

--

Bill.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 52 of 168
mirber56
Aspirant

I bought this EX7000 in February as it got very good reviews, but I am having the same issue with it dropping out with the latest firmware upgrade.  I tried to roll back to the previous version, but it failed to load.  I am hesitant to tried the beta fix.  Where can I locate instructions to roll back to the previous firmware?  I usually don't have issues doing this with other equipment or drivers.

Message 53 of 168
168bill
Luminary

The instructions on how to revert to the previous firmware version have been posted by someone on the first page of this thread, but from my own experience, the most important thing is to do a 'factory reset' after reverting to the previous version.

Hope this helps.

--

Bill.

Message 54 of 168
schumaku
Guru

Message 55 of 168
mirber56
Aspirant

I did a reset to factory via the mywifiext link.  Not a hard reset.  Will give a go again tomorrow and see what happens.  Thank you Shumaku and 168Bill.  Will let you know.

Message 56 of 168
schumaku
Guru

The factory reset - the method used is not relevant - must be done after downgrading the firmware.

Message 57 of 168
168bill
Luminary

Just a quick update.

I have now been running the trial firmware (V1.0.1.78_1.0.157_test) for a few days and it has been largely stable. However,  I have unfortunately experienced a couple of dropouts during this period. These were of a short duration but unfortunately not when I had the debug log running. I never experienced any dropouts at all on the previous version (V1.0.0.66_1.0.126).

I now plan to leave the debug log running continuously so that the next time I experience a dropout I can then stop the log and send it in to Netgear.

This trial version is definitely much more stable than the previous V1.0.1.78 version, but still not quite there although there is hope..........

--

Bill.

Message 58 of 168
8camote
Aspirant

Really hope they release a new firmware!

I've downgraded to 1.0.0.66

• Restored to 1.0.0.66
  • Reset extender

Can I use the same SSID as my main router? The option to use the same SSID is not available in this firmware as I guess the mesh network functionality only came out in 1.0.1.78.

What's the impact of using the same SSID?

Edit - guess that attached answers my question.Annotation 2019-03-10 075343.png

Message 59 of 168
mirber56
Aspirant

Okay.  I managed to finally rollback to the previous version and so far it seems to be working fine.  Thanks again for all your help.  I will wait and see how things go with the beta firmware before I upgrade again.  If something should go awry with the rollback, will be back here.

Message 60 of 168
LordPurple
Star

Hi Bill - thx for the report on the 1.0.1.78 firmware test.  Can you tell us how to enable the debug log on the extender (is this something that is only in the test firmware, or a general feature)?  I haven't gotten access to the test firmware yet, but after previously downgrading back to the 1.0.0.66 version, and even after doing that my 2.4GHz radio periodically vanishes (both bands are connected to the base router, but the 2.4GHz extender network does not even advertise SSID, and is shown "greyed out" on the web interface).  I would love to see any associated log messages that the extender provides. Thanks!

Message 61 of 168
168bill
Luminary

Hi,

I can't tell you for sure about the debug log, as I only got instructions on it after requesting the trial firmware to test.

Suggest you PM the Moderator offering the trial version on the previous page of this thread:

NETGEAR Moderator

Hello All, 

For users still experiencing dropped connection issues with the latest EX7000 FW, please send me a PM as we have received a trial firmware from engineering that may resolve your issue. 

Regards,

Christian 

BTW, in addition to dropouts I also had the same sysmptons as you describe when I originally upgraded to the initial version of the 1.0.1.78 firmware. But have not seen them yet on the new trial version.
--
Bill.
Message 43 of 61

Message 62 of 168
168bill
Luminary

Oh, I just remembered that I still got those same symptoms you describe after I reverted to the previous firmware version, but I resolved this after I then did a full factory reset.

It is really important to do a factory reset after reverting to the original firmware version.

--

Bill.

Message 63 of 168
VS228
Tutor

There is a check box to enable different names for the 2.4 and 5GHz networks on the web interface of the router. 

Message 64 of 168
Shyrage
Aspirant

How has the new firmware been holding up for everyone who's been testing?

Message 65 of 168
168bill
Luminary

It's been holding up pretty well for me.

I had a couple of dropouts that I noticed in the first week when I wasn't running the debug log, but since then with the log running continuously I haven't noticed any at all (although I may have missed any that ocurred when I wasn't using any of my devices/systems).

That said, I have just noticed that some of my devices could not connect to my extended 2.4Ghz network (although status showed no problems and one device was successfully connected), so have just rebooted the extender and now everything is working OK.......

So will offer to send in the logfile to see what they can find.

--

Bill.

Message 66 of 168
drdantru
Tutor

Has the new firmware update become available? I haven't heard back from Netgear's Christian yet. If it is available is it stable? I updated my new EX7300AC2200 and all good, but would like the EX7000AC1900 to work if possible.

Message 67 of 168
168bill
Luminary

@drdantru wrote:

Has the new firmware update become available? I haven't heard back from Netgear's Christian yet. If it is available is it stable? I updated my new EX7300AC2200 and all good, but would like the EX7000AC1900 to work if possible.

As far as I am aware, the only new version available is the trial version that I obtained through Netgear's Christian.

With regard to the stability of that version in my experience, please refer to my previous posts above.

--

Bill.

Message 68 of 168
_Nocturnal
Tutor

Agreed with the post above, the trial version is the only thing open to us for the moment. From my experiences of using it with & without running the log, it has been a lot more stable then the previous version. I did get a few hiccups here and there, which is expected, for my setup at least it worked well and it seems that Netgear is on the correct path. If you don't happen to get the trial FW then just hold out a tad longer on the older one

Message 69 of 168
schumaku
Guru

We still experience (EX7000 in AP mode, .157_test) that after some uptime, e.g. Windows 10 Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230 systems are loosing the connection and can no longer associate. Got .159_test meanwhile, but now not near to that EX7000 customer site.

Few other oddities - using mywifiext.net or the like does show a page claiming there are multiple extenders on the network - what is definitively not the case. 

Message 70 of 168
LordPurple
Star

I did not have much luck with the new firmware, which I got from Christian.  After it was loaded, the extender factory reset, reconfigured - no devices could successfully attach to the extender - meaning, they could connect to the 2G or 5G WiFi network (layer 1/2) but were not given a routable DHCP address (layer 3) so they would show "No internet connection".  The link from the extender to the base router (Netgear C3700) was fine, as I was able to log into the extender from the router network and the status page showed everything normal.  This is basically the same pathology I had with the last (bad) firmware.  Several extender reboots and factory resets as well as a reset of the base router did not help, so I've reverted to the previous (1.0.0.66) version and all is well again.  I reported my experience to Christian, who did say there may be another test version soon.

Message 71 of 168
drdantru
Tutor

thanks

Message 72 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you downgrad the EX to the last working FW version? 

@LordPurple wrote:

I did not have much luck with the new firmware, which I got from Christian.  After it was loaded, the extender factory reset, reconfigured - no devices could successfully attach to the extender - meaning, they could connect to the 2G or 5G WiFi network (layer 1/2) but were not given a routable DHCP address (layer 3) so they would show "No internet connection".  The link from the extender to the base router (Netgear C3700) was fine, as I was able to log into the extender from the router network and the status page showed everything normal.  This is basically the same pathology I had with the last (bad) firmware.  Several extender reboots and factory resets as well as a reset of the base router did not help, so I've reverted to the previous (1.0.0.66) version and all is well again.  I reported my experience to Christian, who did say there may be another test version soon.

Message 73 of 168
LordPurple
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you downgrad the EX to the last working FW version? 

Yes - that is what I said above - after the test FW did not work, I reverted to the "1.0.0.66" version.  As long as you can connect to the extender, you can downgrade the FW.

Message 74 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok, kewl. Hopefully next FW will fix what ever is broke in the last version. Smiley Frustrated

Message 75 of 168
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7