× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

RJ_NZ
Tutor

So I received an email from Netgear a few days ago recommending upgrading to v1.0.1.78 for security reasons. I did and had the same pain as a lot of you, networ was toast. After a few days of agony and "encouraging" messages from my family, I found this thread and downgraded to the previous firmware. Network is running fine again. Netgear, you could do better.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 76 of 168
168bill
Luminary

Hi All,

A quick update for everyone regarding  the trial firmware.

I have been working with Netgear trialling new versions of the firmware, whilst running debug logging, and have experienced and reported a number of problems, although nothing like  as many as in the original V1.0.1.78 version.

The good news is that I'm now on my 3rd trial version and although the latest has only been deployed for 2 days, I have yet to experience any disconnection or dropout problems with it.........fingers crossed Smiley Happy

--

Bill.

Message 77 of 168
schumaku
Guru

@168bill wrote:

Hi All,

I have been working with Netgear trialling new versions of the firmware, whilst running debug logging, and have experienced and reported a number of problems, although nothing like  as many as in the original V1.0.1.78 version.

The good news is that I'm now on my 3rd trial version and although the latest has only been deployed for 2 days, ...

Do. we're on EX7000 V1.0.1.78_1.0.159_test here (there was some delay deploying as this is a customer site) in AP mode - I'd rather prefer not commenting this in the public. Provided feedback on the support ticket and to @Christian_R  these hours, awaiting more feedback (or yet another test build...)

Message 78 of 168
168bill
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

@168bill wrote:

Hi All,

The good news is that I'm now on my 3rd trial version and although the latest has only been deployed for 2 days, ...

Do. we're on EX7000 V1.0.1.78_1.0.159_test here (there was some delay deploying as this is a customer site) in AP mode - I'd rather prefer not commenting this in the public. Provided feedback on the support ticket and to @Christian_R  these hours, awaiting more feedback (or yet another test build...)

I'm currently on 161.........

--

Bill.

Message 79 of 168
schumaku
Guru

@168bill wrote:

I'm currently on 161.........

Takes a lot fo time to drive to the customer site, so suspected we're behind, thus asking 8-) Reads like we have to go make another ride, sigh..

Message 80 of 168
vbaranov
Aspirant

EX7000-V1.0.1.78_1.0.159_test is still dropping connection for me every hour exactly. waiting for the latest version to fix it.

Message 81 of 168
Yty
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is going on? Is there still some problem to publish a new firmware-version? ...or are everyone happy now to their unofficial testfirmware? 

Message 82 of 168
btaroli
Prodigy

I'm rather curious about this too. I hadn't logged an SR for it, mostly because it was a well known cause/issue and there was a workaround. It's nice to know a solution is in the works. I'm looking forward to having functioning unified SSID for the extender. 😄

Message 83 of 168
168bill
Luminary

I'm currently still testing an updated version and whilst it is a big improvement it is still not 100%, I'm still sending logfiles off to Netgear when I get a failure.

Not much more I can add.

--

Bill.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 84 of 168
Sirhcdraw
Aspirant

Waiting on the newest "TEST" firmware. Will post any infoas soon as I install it and get it running.

Chris

Message 85 of 168
YoungTheGiant
Aspirant

Still a a huge problem in May 2019. Have had this router for over a year and it has gaven me issues throughout the duration. During the 1st month my 5g wifi was not working and would shut off after awhile. I put up with slower internet for about year because it was such a hassle to deal with this product. Fast forward to today. I thought I'd give it another shot, so I thought.. well let's try updating this router myabe it'll work better. Nope...huge mistake. It completely bricked. The wifi would shut off and restart on it's own, constantly losing connection. Spent $180 on this product and was never happy with it. So I reset it with older firmware and it's back to it's original underwhelming functionality. Regardless I'll be upgrading my internet in July and will be replacing this router with Google Wifi. Good Riddance Netgear, I hope I never deal with you again.

Message 86 of 168
LordPurple
Star

YoungTheGiant - your experience pretty much matches mine.  I have tried a few versions of the "beta" firmware and none of them fixed the persistent issue that one of the radios (in my case the 2G) would just drop periodically, such that the SSID was not even advertised.  Connections to the base router were always shown as fine in the admin interface, it was just the extender 2G radio that would die.   In every case resetting or power cycling the router did not bring the radio back; but downgrading the FW to the 1.0.0.66 version usually would, for a short time.  That was an indication to me that the hardware was (probably) ok, just a FW issue.

I know this is not the answer anyone here wants to hear, but after being tortured with this spotty Wifi for over a year, I recently upgraded to an Aruba IAP access point and after 3 weeks I can say it has been ROCK solid - and, I no longer need the extender - the Aruba device actually covers my entire house and yard including the area formerly handled by my base Netgear router.  It also does not expose the 5G/2G radios as separate networks, it's only one SSID that devices use, and it steers them towards the strongest/fastest signal without having to manually juggle.  Yes, it is more than twice as expensive, but for those suffering with these broken extenders, you might give it a try.  Very nice management features too, including live traffic plots for every network and device.

Message 87 of 168
oliveira
Aspirant

Is there any way for us to get our money back or exchanged by a product that works?

Message 88 of 168
OleRon
Aspirant

Which type of Aruba IAP access point do you use?
There are many types at different prices.

Message 89 of 168
LordPurple
Star

The IAP-315 fit the bill for me.

Message 90 of 168
schumaku
Guru

@YoungTheGiant wrote:

Still a a huge problem in May 2019. Have had this router for over a year and it has gaven me issues throughout the duration. During the 1st month my 5g wifi was not working and would shut off after awhile. .

The EX7000 isn't a router and caused almost zero problems for most owners, being as wireless extender, being as wired access point.  Guess you talked about a different product.

Message 91 of 168
oliveira
Aspirant

0 problems? Are you reading this thread?
We are the 5% that bothers to complain!
Message 92 of 168
schumaku
Guru

@oliveira wrote:
0 problems? Are you reading this thread?

Well,I read and participate in this thread since around 20 September 2019 the EX7000 Mesh bugware came out - not difficult to find when reading the complete thread. A year ago, when the other poster (talking of a router) claimed having issues, the cumbersome EX7000 Mesh (1.0.1.78) firmware was not out yet, and there were virtually zero problems with the EX7000 in both extender and AP modes. 

Message 93 of 168
btaroli
Prodigy

I am still hopeful that Netgear will find a solution for this. My understanding is that the issues began with more recent firmware, when they added the ability to have a single SSID per band instead of insisting on having separate ones. Upon upgrading to that version (this is a few months back now), I instantly had problems and saw others reporting them here. I've since gone back to the rev prior to that change and live with having additional SSID for the extender. This arrangement has been very solid for me.

So if they can figure out the problems with the newer code, I'd be willing to give it a go. The notes I've seen from at least one user who's been testing early/unreleased code suggests the issues really aren't addressed yet, unfortunately.

Message 94 of 168
Photonutca
Tutor

I have been experiencing many service drop outs over the last months.  Checked and loaded the latest firmware.  Had to re-do all my settings for a range extender, but still have many drop outs.  Service lasts minutes?  This was supposed to be the best and fastest extender?  Very dissapointed in it.

Message 95 of 168
Shyrage
Aspirant

Hello,

SO what are the updates with everyone who is currently testing?  For those of you who are testing the new firmwares, have you also been in contact with netgear?  What do they have to say??

Message 96 of 168
schumaku
Guru

Well, Netgear Support does continuously requesting logs ... for us, the EX7000 is far away on a remote site, and we experience that some older wireless clients fail to connect in AP mode.

There was a "public" EX7000 beta announced some days ago -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Extenders-Beta-Firmware/bd-p/en-home-beta-firmware-extenders

Message 97 of 168
btaroli
Prodigy

I get access denied when I attempt to view that page. But i suppose it's encouraging to know they have a beta out for it, at least. Smiley Happy

Message 98 of 168
schumaku
Guru

@btaroli wrote:

I get access denied when I attempt to view that page.

Sorry, I mistakenly assumed that all community members should gain access automatically. What are plans and intentions on that @Christian_R ?

Message 99 of 168
ndr87
Aspirant

Rif.: EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

The problem is "International". European (Italian) latest firmware suffers from the same problems.

I also had to revert my EX7000 back to the previous firmware, which unfortunately does not have Mesh Functionality.

Hope Netgear will soon release a new working version.

Message 100 of 168
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7