× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rif.: EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

ndr87
Aspirant

Rif.: EX7000 Wifi Range Extender Dropping out after upgrade latest Firmware

Any news?
Message 101 of 168
168bill
Luminary

Not really.
Am still working with Netgear engineering sending in log files after each outage and trying suggested changes to configs, etc.
Think things are progressing, but slowly and no silver bullets yet.
Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 102 of 168
wilhelm0
Initiate

Hi, I am having the same problem, dropouts occur every few minutes when streaming video from a device connected to an EX7000.  How do I get access to test firmware?

Message 103 of 168
RJ_NZ
Tutor

Don’t hold your breath. This problem has been outstanding for about nine months with little or no feedback from Netgear. The best action is to revert to the previous firmware which, although it has issues, is much more stable.
I recently received an email from Netgear inviting me to purchase a Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi 6 Router. Seems their sales channel is much more active than support.
Personally, I’m ready to dumb my Netgear equipment and will purchase something else. Time to do some research. RJ.
Message 104 of 168
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RJ_NZ - We have received positive feedback from users on the current beta firmware version. If you're interested, I'd be happy to extend an invite into our private Beta Community.

~Christian 

Message 105 of 168
Photonutca
Tutor

ok please i will try it

greg

Message 106 of 168
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Photonutca - When you get a chance, please send me a message for more details. 

~Christian 

Message 107 of 168
Photonutca
Tutor

I'm really not sure what you want here?  You have my e-mail.  Spent an hour and a half resetting the extender again today, getting tired of all the failures!

Message 108 of 168
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Photonutca - I have sent you a message. Just needed a confirmation that you wanted to join the Beta Community to provide feedback on the beta firmware.

~Christian 

Message 109 of 168
drdantru
Tutor

I gave up. I needed reliable WiFi so purchased a new one. The EX7000 worked great until last year when I did firmware update. It freaked out and seemed to mess up router too. It starting flashing lights and restarted over and over again. So I’m not willing to risk it damaging my router.
Message 110 of 168
PapiChuloNica
Aspirant

Can you also send me the beta firmware, I'm also having issues with the extender disconnecting consistantly. thank you

Message 111 of 168
GyrBarbary
Aspirant

Need this also, as ive wasted a day so far on my EX7000

Thanks

Message 112 of 168
Photonutca
Tutor

Loaded the BETA version and everything looked OK.  Until I tried my satalite receiver and my TV both have wired connections to the extender, both failed.  TV said there was no cable attached.  went back to my original version 108

Message 113 of 168
RandoCalrissian
Initiate

What beta firmware are people testing?  There is a publicly released one here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061100/EX7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-82-Hot-Fix

Message 114 of 168
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Photonutca - We would appreciate if you could provide your feedback in the private beta community for the team to review. 

Hi RandoCalrissian - Glad you asked! We have a Private Extenders Community for users helping us debug performance issues not related to the security issue that firmware version 1.0.1.82 addresses.

~Christian 

Message 115 of 168
Photonutca
Tutor

I looked for it?

I loaded the beta and lost all my connected devices! Ran for maybe two hours without a drop out. Load version 108 to get my connections back, and have not had an issue.

Message 116 of 168
Groto
Aspirant

I have a Ex7000 that is dropping out all of the time as well. Can I be invited to try the latest beta firmware?

Message 117 of 168
Photonutca
Tutor

I tried the beta software for an hour, total failure, have had to go back to version 108
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 118 of 168
TPJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I only just discovered this thread in time as was just about to take my iMac to an Applestore having tried everything else to work out why I keep getting dropped connections every 10 minutes or so.  I remembered that installed an update for the first time in four years on my EX7000 after getting an email from Netgear a couple of months ago and realised that the problems had started after that.  I decided to just try a factory reset and it has completely sorted the problem out. 

Message 119 of 168
GabrielW
Tutor

@christian , would you be able to add me to the beta channel as well ? I am willing to try a beta firmware if available. In my current setup I use the range extender to connect 4 nest outdoor cameras. The system is totally unstable, cameras go offline every few minutes.

Message 120 of 168
Cheez75
Aspirant

I've been having the same issues with this extender since the mesh update; prior to that I had it mostly working as a wired access point although it still required rebooting every so often and 5ghz didn't seem to work very well. I've tried the latest hotfix, all available firmwares, moving closer to the router etc.. Needs rebooting every few hours or so... My router is the R7800.

Can I have an invitation to the beta community please?

Message 121 of 168
VS228
Tutor

It seems the problem is with the 'Enable One WiFi Name' feature. I was using the latest firmware 1.0.1.80 with different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks for the main router as well as the extender with no problems. (I had in effect 4 different WiFi networks at home). This caused no problems with Android devices but iOS devices do not seem to switch seemlessly when the signal is weak.

I have downgraded to 1.0.0.68 and have manually given the same name and password to the extender networks. So far so good.

But Netgear owes us a working firmware quickly!

Message 122 of 168
GabrielW
Tutor

VS228,

Thank you for your reply. I went through some experiments throughout the week, including reverting to older revisions (went to .62, .68, .80, and now at beta .82). My test results were mixed, with some stability when reverting to older firmware, but returning to same or similar behavior after some time. A reboot would correct the issue for a period of time. Since yesterday night I enabled one name, disabled the second 5 GHz band and enabled the address reservation in my router ( Netgear R6400) for the wireless devices connected to the extender. Surprisingly in this configuration, I did not experience disconnections overnight. I will continue testing in this configuration, as I want identify if failures are related to the upstream links or to the AP part. Not sure if related to the failure mode, the configuration page of the extender is not accessible anymore, even though the devices are still connected and have internet access.A note, I am runinng the extender at a fixed IP, therefore the IP is not teh issue.

We might be dealing with a memory leak of some kind, therefore it requires a response from Netgear to address the side effects that are reported by the community.

Message 123 of 168
VS228
Tutor

Did you reset the extender after each firmware change?
Model: EX7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Access Point
Message 124 of 168
TPJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

If that question from VS228 was to me by any chance, I just reset the extender and did not up date the firmware

Message 125 of 168
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7