× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 Won't Connect to Certain Websites (AC1900 WiFi Range Extender)

tomasblanco
Aspirant

EX7000 Won't Connect to Certain Websites (AC1900 WiFi Range Extender)

Two days ago my AC1900 WiFi Range Extender stopped connecting to a number of different websites (i.e. espn.com, bing.com, rollingstone.com, etc) across several different devices - i.e. macbook pro, hp chromebook, iphone 6s, etc). On Safari I get a 'can't find the server' error while on Chrome I get an 'address unreachable' error. What's strange is that there are other sites (i.e. Google.com, Youtube.com, LinkedIn.com, Yahoo.com, Wikipedia.com) that I can still connect to with no errors. Unfortunately the number of sites I cannot connect to are much greater than those that I can.

I have reset the extender manually several times (paperclip to the button in back) and am able to successfully go through the setup process and connect to my AT&T modem however once I'm connected and I log into my extender network I am still unable to get to most websites. 

I saw on the thread below that there may be a firmware update issue so I downloaded a previous version (at https://kb.netgear.com/000059563/EX7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-66) to install however I'm also unable to connect to http://mywifiext via either the domain or the IP address to do the installation.

Here's the thread in quesiton:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7000-Range-Extender-will-not-conne...

I would buy a new extender however my current one is a little more than a year old and it seems strange that the problem is only impacting access to certain websites. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX7000 Won't Connect to Certain Websites (AC1900 WiFi Range Extender)

Hi @tomasblanco,

Welcome to the community!

1. Are you able to access the websites when connected to the main router?

2. Do you have static DNS set to any of your devices?

3. Is the device setup in AP mode or extender mode?

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 14
TNO
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem.  I've tried going back to prior firmware versions, rebooting the extender, rebooting the router, etc.  Nothing seems to work. 

1. When i connect to the WiFi signal coming directly from the roueter everything seems to work just fine.

2. I don't know about static DNS, how to check for this, or how to change if possible.

3. I've set up the extender a number of times the last couple of days, and i always choose the extender mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 14
tomasblanco
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

1. Yes, I'm able to access the websites in question when connected directly to the main router.

2. I'm not sure how to check if the extender is set to static dns. How can I confirm?

3. The device is set up in extender mode.

Message 4 of 14
ABCD12345
Aspirant

Same problem. Any update on a solution? 

Message 5 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ABCD12345,

Welcome to the community!

The other users were able to resolve the issue by updating the firmware on the extender and/or setting a static DNS and IP on the extender.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 14
Toweren
Initiate

A few months ago I updated my router (supplied by provider not Netgear) and suddenly I was unable to access most websites whenever I used the EX7000 as an extender.  Some could be accessed, while most, e.g. amazon, argos, etc., could not be accessed - responding with a dns error.  I trawled the internet and changed IP and DNS settings galore but to no avail.  Nothing was going through the EX7000 as an extender - not my iphones, PC, laptops, nothing.  Eventually I had to disconnect the EX7000 and leave it idle under the desk, just gathering dust.  I was sure that I'd never be any use to me with the new router, then I came accross this thread and the suggestion regarding the firmware.  I plugged the EX7000 back in, noted that my firmware was the most recent one 1.0.0.768 or something (must have updated it around the time I installed the new router), so I downloaded the previous firmware 1.0.0.66 and loaded it.  Bingo!  Everything is working a treat.  So, for me, the solution came from backtracking on the firmware.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 7 of 14
Durk
Aspirant

Message 8 of 14
TroyTech
Initiate

This started for me after updating firmware...updating firmware definitely did not solve this problem 

Message 9 of 14
Bburke
Initiate

Hello,

Just curious. How were you able to download the firmware? I can't download the firmware because of the original issue -- I can't even go to mywifiext .net when setting up the router. 

Thanks

Message 10 of 14
Rthinson
Aspirant

Was this ever resolved? How do I change to the older firmware settings?
Message 11 of 14
Rthinson
Aspirant

This version of firmware update fixed the issue for me by logging into it on my regular wifi.

V1.0.1.84_1.0.148

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 12 of 14
WWJJ
Aspirant

Mine will not access most sites on android and wifi controled devices will not be recongnized.  Stopped with no updates or anything.

On a windows 10 laptop it works perfectly.

Model: EX7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Access Point
Message 13 of 14
tomasblanco
Aspirant

I finally got this working. Here's a link with the firmware that I reverted back to:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059563/EX7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-66

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7