× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 drops connections after firmware 1.0.1.80

ihate
Tutor

EX7000 drops connections after firmware 1.0.1.80

i recently installed the latest firmware 1.0.1.80 and now my extender contstantly loses connection and needs to be rebooted to reestablish service.  anyone else having issues? is this a known issue?  i had the same issue with 1.0.1.78 and reverted to 1.0.1.66 which i was on for years but seemed to be the only one that is stable at the moment.  i also saw a hotfix 1.0.1.82 but it seems to be in BETA.  any advice would be appreciated.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7000 drops connections after firmware 1.0.1.80

When you updated the firmware, did you do it over a hardwired connection and reset the device afterward? I know we're in a time where we shouldn't need to do this but I've found it to have the best results when updating firmware.

If you didn't, I would manually reload the firmware, factory reset the device afterward, and then re do your installation. If this doesn't work, I'd rollback the firmware again. Not an ideal plan to use older firmware but if it was functioning well on the older firmware, might be the best for that device.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7000

Message 2 of 14
ihate
Tutor

i used the 'search online' update feature to upgrade to the latest firmware and it seems to have completed fine.  you recommend resetting completely before upgrading?  i've seen issues with the 1.0.1.78 firmware which i experienced myself so i've been waiting for another update for a long time now.  it's pretty sad if this one doesn't work as well but i haven't seen too many people complaining about it yet.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

I would just reset after redoing the firmware. I prefer manual updates as I've had less issues doing it that way.
Message 4 of 14
robjurd
Aspirant

Like you, I have had to revert to the "good old"  V1.0.0.66_1.0.126 due to dropped connections and more specifically DHCP forwarding not working.  If I statically set my WiFi IP then it works but that's not an option in a house where there's 10 devices.

Message 5 of 14
pacoinconn
Aspirant

I also experienced issues with the updates after .66 so had reverted back to .66.  I've updated to .80 last night and will report back on issues (dropped connections mostly) if they develop.  For what it's worth, I assign static IP addresses using my ASUS router...the EX7000s (two of them) are each hard-wired to home network and used for wi-fi only (not in extender mode).  That still didn't prevent droppsed connections and inability to connect when using .68 and .78 versions.

Message 6 of 14
robjurd
Aspirant

FWIW I am still experiencing dhcp timeouts with 1.0.1.80.  The extender is in extender mode.

Message 7 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

pacoinconn & robjurd, 

After a updating the firmware, we recommend performing a factory reset on the extender and going through the setup again.

Christian 

Message 8 of 14
robjurd
Aspirant

Thanks and i have already done exactly that. Unfortunately the device still doesn't forward dhcp packets after an extended period of operation.
Not going to upgrade until this is fixed
Message 9 of 14
fadsarmy
Aspirant

EX7000 drops connections frequently in extender mode after firmware 1.0.1.80 and so does 1.0.1.82. This is not acceptable for a premium product. There has hardly been a working firmware for this product ever since I purchased it 2 years ago.

There is a 1.0.1.84 update but this is not available for download. You have to update it through the gui. I hope this one works.

Message 10 of 14
ihate
Tutor

I agree. It’s ridiculous that they can’t put out a decent firmware upgrade for one of their popular selling products. Please let me know if the .84 update works for you
Message 11 of 14
fadsarmy
Aspirant

It's been 2 days and not a single dropped connection with .84 so It's finally working as it should. I'm more relieved than happy as this should have been corrected ages ago. I also had to buy another brand extender whilst this one got its firmware fixed so it cost me a lot. I don't think I'll waste my money on Netgear again.

Message 12 of 14
fadsarmy
Aspirant

.84 firmware has started playing up again with frequent disconnects. It worked fine for 2 days. Back to my trusted non-Netgear repeater which works flawlessly. Absolutely pathetic.

Message 13 of 14
pacoinconn
Aspirant

Sorry to hear that.  I've been running V1.0.1.80_1.0.144 and it's been working fine.  Will not be updating anymore....not sure the benefit of future updates since they only serve "wi-fi" duty and are not directly connected to the outside world.  Lesson learned for future purchases.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7