× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 extender hijacked gateway after firmware update

AMorton
Tutor

EX7000 extender hijacked gateway after firmware update

I'm not sure how to explain this, but last night I updated my EX7000 extender firmware (1.0.1.84). After the update my internet speed was horribly slow. I unplugged it and started it back up. It seemed to improve the speed so I thought everything was good. Later, I was on my laptop connected to the main router (R7000 Nighthawk) and all of sudden I would lose my internet connection, even though it showed my connection was still active. I couldn't log into the router from Netgear Genie. I used the wizard to resolve the issue and it seemed to work. Well, this morning, nothing would connect, even though it said my signal was good and I was connected. It finally dawns on me I'm looking at the image of the Extender in the Netgear Genie network map, instead of my Nighthawk Router. It appears to be using the Gateway IP inspite of having a separate IP address. I unplugged it, and now everything on the network is connecting like it should. I need the extender to provide internet in my studio (separate building). Any suggestion on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7000 extender hijacked gateway after firmware update

Here's what I'd do. 
1. install the 1.0.9.42 firmware to the R7000. Factory reset it and manually re-install it. Not from a backup.

2. After that's done, reset the EX7000 and re-install it manually as well. 

Both devices had significant changes to their firmware that have responded favorably to factory reset and manually re-installing. When firmware changes enough, backup configurations can sometimes carry over settings that cause issues. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what firmware is on the R7000? It isn't known to have the best firmware

2. You put firmware for extender. good. If you're sure its the firmware, you can always downgrade the firmware to the prior version. it wouldn't be the first time that newer firmware broke something. 

Message 2 of 5
AMorton
Tutor

I'm not convinced it's the firmware, but I wasn't having issues until the update. I updated the R7000 Nighthawk the night before to firmware v1.0.9.88. I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet. I also updated to the latest version of Netgear Genie. 

I thought I read somewhere that the new firmware for the extender now has mesh capability and was wondering if the extender now has the mesh activated but since it was set up as an AP previously that it's somehow caught between the two features. Is that even possible? When I was able to access the extender through the web interface, it showed its proper IP address (192.168.1.30), gateway was the R7000 IP (192.168.1.1) and DNS as 192.168.1.1. However, when I would open Netgear Genie, it was displaying the Extender as the gateway in the Network Map and the login window would display the R7000 gateway IP. With the EX7000 turned off, the network is now back to normal, so I can only assume the issue is with the extender.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Here's what I'd do. 
1. install the 1.0.9.42 firmware to the R7000. Factory reset it and manually re-install it. Not from a backup.

2. After that's done, reset the EX7000 and re-install it manually as well. 

Both devices had significant changes to their firmware that have responded favorably to factory reset and manually re-installing. When firmware changes enough, backup configurations can sometimes carry over settings that cause issues. 

Message 4 of 5
AMorton
Tutor

I managed to get everything playing nicely together by doing the factory reset on the extender and rebuilding the extended network. Probably the best performance I've had out of this router and extender since I bought them! Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7