× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 in AP mode - really slow LAN speeds (12-13 Mbps only)

cdkeck
Aspirant

EX7000 in AP mode - really slow LAN speeds (12-13 Mbps only)

I have a fairly simple home network using a Netgear R8500 router and a 300Mbps down / 20Mbps up internet connection. Across the house I have an ethernet cable that runs to my main TV and I've had it connected to a simple gigabit switch to power some of the TV related electronics (TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox, etc). Everything connected to the R8500 directly and to the switch mentioned above has always worked perfectly. Full 300 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up, sometimes slightly more.

So recently I picked up an EX7000 to put in place of the switch behidn the TV as I wanted it to run in AP mode and boost the wireless signal over in that part of the house.

Get it all set up, it is hardwired via ethernet in place of the existing switch since it has enough spare ports to plug everything in (I always hard wire when possible). It is NOT extending the wifi network over wifi, I just want to point that out again, and none of the TV or entertainment devices are connected via wifi, only ethernet directly into the EX7000.

Running into a MAJOR problem. The EX7000 will not pull anything downstream faster than 12-13 Mbps. Doesn't matter which speed test service or server location I try. The upload speeds hit the 20+ mark that my ISP plan offers and that I can test easily on anything not behind the EX7000, it's just downstream that is impacted.

I've been on the phone with Netgear and I've tried two different firmware versions in addition to the latest and all exhibit the same symptoms.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on that has seen this before? Again, if I simply put the switch back in place of the EX7000 all problems go away. If I hardwire into the ethernet run over to the TV everything works fine too.

I really want the range extender to work as I want the wifi network itself to extend over there, but this is a major flaw somewhere in this device.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. The network itself is pretty flat/simple, no QoS or any other non-traditional services or settings at the router level. Thanks in advance!

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
cdkeck
Aspirant

Bump...anyone else seeing this?

Message 2 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @cdkeck

Welcome to the community!

Can you provide a diagram and how are things connected together with the IP addresses used?

Also, can you include screenshots of the speedtest when you're connected to the router?

Then another screenshot of the speedtest when connected wired through the EX7000.

Kindly capture as well the data link rates.

Message 3 of 5
KevinS2
Aspirant

I have this same issue.  My EX7000 is connected via ethernet to my R7000.  I have a PC hard wired to the EX7000 and can get download speeds over 300 Mbps.  I connect my phone to the wifi and I can't get over 30.  I connect the same phone to my R7000 and I get almost 200.  I tried going back one version with the firmware, but that did not help so I upgraded back to the current firmware.  Nothing appears to get me the speed I should be getting from this hard wired AP.

Message 4 of 5
KevinS2
Aspirant

I got it working now.  All I did was uncheck the "Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence (2.4GHz)".  Speeds up to 300 Mbps now 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7