× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 internet issues after firmware upgrade

pacdave
Guide

EX7000 internet issues after firmware upgrade

I received an email to upgrade my wifi extender firmware to V1.0.1.78_1.0.140. Installation went fine. Now I cannot connect to most websites. Google I can connect to. Netgear, among many others, I simply recieve Server Not Found. I did nothing but upgrade the firmware. Everything worked fine before the upgrade. I've even tried connecting to the router, not the extender. Same problem. Any suggestions? This is aggrivating. Thanks!
Message 1 of 37

Accepted Solutions
JMW001
Star

Yep... MANY people are having same problem .... downgrade the firmware by downloading it from netgear and applying ... looks like newest release is borked

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 37

All Replies
JMW001
Star

Yep... MANY people are having same problem .... downgrade the firmware by downloading it from netgear and applying ... looks like newest release is borked

Message 2 of 37
yukitz
Tutor

I am curious what percentage of EX7000 units updated to the latest firmware is having these issues reported here.

I figure people happy with the update wouldn't be here, so it would be tricky to determine the success rate by polling people in here.

I too had frequent disconnect issues after the update, so I rolled back to the previous version.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 37
JHMar
Initiate

Having same issue.  Changed channel...did not fix.   Is there a solution that does not call for a roll back?

Message 4 of 37
JMW001
Star

Seemingly not at present. And i've found that rolling back hasn't resolved the instability ... i have effectively decommisioned my EX7000 because of this which is really annoying.

Message 5 of 37
NickAskew
Tutor

Hi,

I've had loads of problems since the firmware upgrade too, my symptoms are extremely slow download speeds when connected via WiFi to this EX7000 - upload isn't ever affected, confirmed by running numerous download speed tests - 0 bytes down, almost full bandwidth of my configured upload speed.  Switching to connect via WiFi directly to my broadband router (a BT SmartHub6) results in full speed again, switching back to being connected to the EX7000 results in zero download speed, full upload speed.  Only powering the EX7000 off and then back on again fixes my issue.

I'll try the older firmware version now and see if it's still unstable over the next few days.

Cheers

Nick

Message 6 of 37
NickAskew
Tutor

Additionally after the downgrade from V1.0.1.78_1.0.140 to V1.0.0.66_1.0.126, my WiFi connected speed has risen from 575 Mbps (V1.0.1.78_1.0.140) to 1.1 Gbps (V1.0.0.66_1.0.126).

Message 7 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@JMW001 wrote:

Seemingly not at present. And i've found that rolling back hasn't resolved the instability ... i have effectively decommisioned my EX7000 because of this which is really annoying.

You might try one more factory reset of the extender, and reconfigure.  When the format of the settings file changes, they convert it when upgrading, but they can't back-convert it when downgrading.  So you can end up with some bogus settings (not always visible in the UI).

Message 8 of 37
schumaku
Guru

Didn't work for us at all. Spent hours for updating and reconfig. Then we discovered the EX7000 in AP did not even pick up an address by DHCP on the wired GbE anymore, it "disappeared" - and the users complained about the loss of Internet connectivity.

Message 9 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Then we discovered the EX7000 in AP did not even pick up an address by DHCP on the wired GbE anymore, it "disappeared" 

This was after you downgraded the firmware again?

Message 10 of 37
schumaku
Guru

No, we've upgraded and re-configured from scratch last weekend - because we found it hard to believe it should not work. As of today, we're back on 1.0.0.66.

Message 11 of 37
yukitz
Tutor

When I switched back to 1.0.0.66 firmware I didn't have to do the reset, but I had to re-enter the SSID & password to reconnect to my router.

Seems most people here were able to switch back to the previous firmware.

Message 12 of 37
pacdave
Guide

Thanks.  I rolled it back to the previous version.  No more problems. 

Message 13 of 37
JMW001
Star

Tried factory resets several times... i've given up on it - it's off and will remain off until there's a new firmware out which (hopefully) resolves the issues

Message 14 of 37
pacdave
Guide

I had to foll my firmware back to the previous versions.  Easy to do.  No more problems. 

Message 15 of 37
pacdave
Guide

Go to netgear, download the previous firmware version and install.  I did that and had no more problems.  No telling when a new version will be out to replace the current buggy version. 

Message 16 of 37
JMW001
Star

I did that (several times) and it's still unstable. Tried updating wirelessly & cabled. Don't know what else to say ... factory reset each time but it's just, at this point, a useless hunk of plastic now.

Very much not impressed that this has happened

Message 17 of 37
schumaku
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

No, we've upgraded and re-configured from scratch last weekend - because we found it hard to believe it should not work. As of today, we're back on 1.0.0.66.

FWIW - the EX7000 disappeared from the switched network L3 wise (but was reachable over it's radios), GbE devices (like a NAS and two printers) showed problems, these wired devices cloud functionalities had issues (e.g. DDNS registrations or cloud access of the NAS, cloud access to the printers, ...), too.

Message 18 of 37
pacdave
Guide

Hmmm.  I downgraded from version V1.0.1.78 to V1.0.1.66 wirelessly using the below instructions.  Must be just lucky.  I haven't had any additional problems that I've noticed.  

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.

1. Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually.
  2. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.chk

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000-V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.zip
  3. Log in to the device using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.mywifiext.net.
  4. Click Firmware Update.
  5. Find “Upload Update File” and click “Browse” and locate the file you just downloaded.
  6. Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.
  7. The extender reboots when the upgrade is complete.
  8. After the extender boots up and the power LED becomes steady green, log in the extender again.

To check that the upgrade was successful, log in to the extender again at http://mywifiext.net and check the firmware version.

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes.
  2. EX7000 don’t have power LED. It has three LED’s above the LAN LED.
  3. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, please see the two arrows LED (Device to Extender LED). During upgrading, this LED will blink amber. After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady green color
  4. Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.
Message 19 of 37
schumaku
Guru

Sorry to be unclear - this was on the new firmware only, once downgraded things were back to normal (some other oddity - had to reboot the NAS).
Message 20 of 37
dstorer3
Aspirant

I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to roll back after first upgrade went south and tried two more times thinkiing it was my fault then finally looked at the community postings. Won't be trying again

Message 21 of 37
mtapsak
Aspirant

I am having problems too. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a novice and can't figure out how to roll back to an earlier version. Is there a help thread for that? Happy for replies to mtapsak@hotmail.com thank!!!

Message 22 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Basic instructions are here: https://kb.netgear.com/000059563/EX7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-66.

On step 5, make sure you select the .chk file.

Message 23 of 37
danielgeorge000
Initiate

I had issues with disconnects after loading the 1.0.1.78 firmware upgrade. I solved it (maybe, just implemented this solution 4 hours ago) by installing the previous version 1.0.0.66. It wasn't so straight forward, however. Like some others on this forum, the installation wasn't able to restart the extender to the point where it could re-establish a connection to the base router. I had to resort to doing a factory reset on the extender, and then redoing some of the extender settings. The extender DID remember it's previous SSID names for both the 2.4 and 5 gHz channels, as well as their respective passwords. Netgear support needs to step up and admit that this is a bogus upgrade, and let us know when a reliable one is available.

Message 24 of 37
danielgeorge000
Initiate

None that I know of. See my comments (#24 in this thread)

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7