× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 needs reboot every 2 days to maintain speeds

endlessender
Aspirant

EX7000 needs reboot every 2 days to maintain speeds

Hi everyone,

I have an EX7000 connected  with Fastlane to an R7800. It works "great" other than the fact that every 2 days or so I have to reboot it to get my  full speeds back.

R7800 is connected to AT&T modem with Fiber 1000  service. One  computer is connected via ethernet to EX7000 and  normally   it will achive between 400-500mbps on Speedtest. After a couple days it seems to peg at around 280mbps. Never goes above that no matter what server I test with. Reboot, and it's immediately back to 400-500  until it eventuially slows down again.

EX7000 and R7800 are both using latest firmware.

Any ideas what could be causing this? It's 100% reproducible.

Many thanks for any help from experts here.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

WiFi link speeds are negotiated, and will change if either side sees the quality of the signal drop a bit.  280 mbps of throughput is still a fast speed, and I suspect that the router (and the extender) are just taking a conservative approach to upspeeding the link again.

The next time you see the speed drop, try turning off the router wifi for a minute and then turn it back on again.  See if that also increases the speed again.

Message 2 of 10
endlessender
Aspirant

Thanks for responding but this doesn't seem to be the case.  

It just happened again (limited to 280). I rebooted the R7800 router.  Same - 280. Then I rebooted the EX7000 and it's at 460.

Also bizarre is that the, by comparison, cheap TPlink TEW-800 that I used to have in  here never had this problem. It wasn't as fast, but never  had speeds as poor as  280 and also never  needed to be rebooted. 

Netgear has asked me to exchange the unit (with  no advance replacement unless at my expense - service is truly awful - I dont' know why I keep buying Netgear products)), yet I'm highly sceptical that this is some hardware problem that will be solved  with a different unit.

Message 3 of 10
endlessender
Aspirant

I've now tried backdated the firmware to see if that helps. Will report back. 

Nobody else seeing anything like ths?

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@endlessender wrote:

It just happened again (limited to 280). I rebooted the R7800 router.  Same - 280. Then I rebooted the EX7000 and it's at 460.

Are these link speeds, or is this measured throughput?  Either way, this is with 5G connections, correct?

Message 5 of 10
endlessender
Aspirant

Thes are measured throughput stats using speedtest.net.  EX7000 is connected via 5ghz and the computer I'm using to test is a desktop connected via ethernet to EX7000. The only wireless link in this particular chain is the 5ghz link between the EX7000 and the R7800.

Just  tested today with the old firmware and so far so good but probably won't have a real result until tomorrow  as it seems to be about two days before it slows down to around 280mbps.

Thanks for you interest and help.

Message 6 of 10
Netty123
Aspirant

I'm curious what you found out because I have the same problem.  I just happened to do a firmware update to the EX7000 at the same time I connected my new R7800 therefore I'm not sure which one is creating the problem.  On some occasions the EX7000 simply reboots all by itself for no apparent reason.  I never had these problems when I was running R7000.  I'm going to guess it's the firmware update.  Thanks for letting me know what you find out.

Message 7 of 10
Netty123
Aspirant

I wound up rolling back the firmware version and it's working flawlessly again.  I found others online that started having problems with the newest firmware version and things corrected themselves when going back to the one ending in 66

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Netty123 wrote:

I wound up rolling back the firmware version and it's working flawlessly again.  

I would have suggested that, but he said he'd already rolled back to older firmware.

Message 9 of 10
endlessender
Aspirant

(Sorry late in replying)

Unfortunatley rolling back to previous firmware did not change the behavior. I'm now back to latest firmware and still with same behavior.

Summary:

2 days  (tops) until speed caps at  x%  of max.  Reboot of EX7000 fixes it every time. Reboot of  R7800 router has no effect.

Also, I have no dropouts, disconnects, unexplained reboots or any other unwanted beahvior. Everyhthing works great...until it doesn't (slow speed)...and then it needs a reboot. It works great expect for this one  (arguably major) thing.

(TEW-800 in same spot on same network didn't have this problem (but was limited to lower max speed overall)

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7