× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 no internet connection

AJCrowley666
Guide

make sure you go into the wifi and forget the network on any apple device before trying to connect, my work phone is sadly a crapple and it works fine

Message 126 of 137
DrCharlesForbin
Apprentice

Another idea too is to purge the entries for the Apple devices in the DHCP cache on the router so it has to get assigned a new IP address. I was surprised yesterday when setting up my new AP (not as simple on pro grade equipment when it’s port bound and 2 floors apart) to find 2 cache entries for the same devices with the same name. It could be upgraded devices with different Mac addresses. So I’m finally rid of this annoyance. Now I’m wondering if I should just cut the power output on the old netgear and use it as a guest AP or factory reset and smash it to pieces for the aggravation it’s put me through 🙂 

Message 127 of 137
sgreene978
Aspirant

AJ, thankd for hte reply. I shut-off the Extender so that I could delete the two networks from my iPhone 6 Plus without them popping back up right away. I deleted both from the Wi-Fi settings on the phone, then shut the phone down completely.

I turned the extender back on and then re-started the iPhone. Once it was up, I went into settings and tried connecting to both signals (one at a time, of course). Sadly, I still receive the "No Internet Connection" error message.

Thanks again,

Steve

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 128 of 137
sgreene978
Aspirant

Dr. Forbin,

Thanks for your latest reply. Last evening, I reset the extender to the factory defaults, this time setting up the two wifi signals with a new password that had not been used on neither the originating router or the extender. I'm unable to set up the unit as an AP, as the main router is found on the far other side of our home and I do not have an CAT 5 Ethernet cable run from the room where the router is to where my master bedroom is.

However, just a short while ago, I shut off the extender, then I deleted both signals from my iPhone 6 Plus, following which, I shut down the phone completely.

I then re-powered the extender. When it was solid, I powered up my iPhone. I then attempted to connect to each of the wifi signals, unfortunately with the same result, "No Internet Connection."

Thus the phone SEES the SSID of each signals and attempts to connect to it however, for whatever reason, the phone refuses to see the Internet signal that this very laptop I'm writing this note on, sees and connects without a problem.

Thank you,

Steve

Message 129 of 137
DrCharlesForbin
Apprentice

Try this - on the iPhone- go to settings/WiFi and see if you’re getting a DNS addres
See this page for info http://www.macinstruct.com/node/558
Message 130 of 137
Augello
Tutor

My unit is new and has same issue. Works OK but STATUS page says 'not connected to internet'. After reading the previous comments it's clear that this fabulious device was programed to test internet connectivity by pinging netgear.com which will not respond to PING so the device says "no internet'. Now that's just a guess on my part since i'm not taking the effort to setup a sniffer. Why programmers hard code basic things like a ping address is beyond me. If you want to test the internet then ping the default gateway and give a success or failure on that and say 'Gateway found' if you don't have internet then check the Gateway. So my unit has a STATUS of X Not connected to the Internet when in fact it is connected to the Internet and I wasted 2 hours of my valuable time troubleshooting Netgears mistake. Good hardware; poor programming; horrible support. My own fault for not buying another brand.

@DrCharlesForbin wrote:

Ok - I'm stumped on this one and I'm not paying $50 for a support call if I cana get a new one for $100.  Recently, my EX7000 (in Access Point mode) has been reporting that it has no internet connection. However, it passes internet traffic just fine to it's wired and wireless clients. I've done a factory reset, gave it a static IP/DNS address, everything I can think of and it stll tells me that I have no internet connection to the AP.  I've shut off the USB side as well, same problem. Fast Lane is not enabled.  The log on my router isnt showing any errors and I've rebooted the entire network stack a couple of times in the proper sequence. I've tried going back to an older version of the firmware - same problem.  Everything I do, same problem.  Sometmes AP don't get their own IP address, and that's fine - but this looks like a DNS problem to me.  But then why is flagging it as an error and why would it start now when it's been working like a champ for over the past year and 1/2. I wouldnt care if it doesnt have it's own IP address, but I'm having a problem getting a wifi signal sync'd up via WPS to a tivo adapter - it's not connecing to the internet.  It was working until this Saturday when I switched out the TiVO.  I can't fix that problem until I know what to do about this. Any suggestions - what am I missing?  Thanks.

Message 131 of 137
DrCharlesForbin
Apprentice

Yep. It’s strictly cosmetic. I expected them to have the supressed in later firmware revs. No more consumer network hardware for me, just because the support is horrible. Maybe I’m paying for it with commercial hardware but it actually works. I’m going to taking a hammer to my 7000 very soon simply out of fustration. As much as I want to save it for use as a guest AP...I’ll get more satisfaction from the hammer.
Message 132 of 137
jbeamer
Initiate

Thanks for the solution -- confirmed that my upstream Netgear Router (R6400 w/ Firmware Version V1.0.1.26_1.0.19) was limiting network to IPv4.   

The EX7000 | AC1900 No internet connection error went away after enabling IPv6 connection on the main router in Advanced - Advanced Setup - IPv6 and changing Internet Connection Type from "Disabled" to "DHCP" and Auto Config.

Thanks for the help figuring this out!

Message 133 of 137
sgreene978
Aspirant

First, again my thanks for all of the suggestions. Now, not only have none of them worked, I think I may have found the root of my problem. No, it doesn't solve it. As a matter of fact, it complicates it!

I performed another factory reset today after I was unable to even access the Extender, to which this computer is connected to and which is right next to this computer, physically. I wanted to check the settings, but every single time I attempted to login with "mywifiext.net" I always received either the Netgear "You're Not Connected to This Device" error message or the page would not see the device. Thus, another factory reset!

Another suggestion on here said to use Control Panel > Devices & Printers then to look for the Extender and check the properties. So I tried that. Problem is that the computer does not see the Extender which it is connected with via the 2.4Ghz wifi signal. Yet, I'm still connected!

Even though this Extender (OK, the most recent model of it...mine is just about 1 year old) is still consistently rated one of, if not THE best Extender/AP, I'm ready to throw in the towel, let my current router return to its primary job of simply being the residential gateway that it was before I decided to draft it as the primary router, and but a new package of both!. I hate spending that amount of money, but I have not seen any really positive reviews of the mesh units that proves them to be a wise and working investment!

Any suggestions for non-Netgear equipment?

Message 134 of 137
DrCharlesForbin
Apprentice

I always used to swear by Linksys. I bought the R7000 over the Linksys because of the overwhelming positive reviews. The R7000 did work for me for the most part, once I got past that cosmetic error it worked usually. I’m still at a loss as to why you’re having so many problems with what should be a routine thing. Then again, I was ready to blame the R7000 when I finally found the problem to be a bad network jack on my TiVO. Networks are fluky... (no pun intended). I had problems connecting an Airport Express AP to my router... no excuse from Apple why. The jury is still out on those mesh devices and I’m not quite sure why. I personally use SonicWall hardware on my home network - it is overkill, it is overly expensive, maintenance every year (but I know I’m safe from most threats) .. and I only put the R7000 into service when I was having trouble with the range on my SonicPoint inside the network. Review your setup. 

Message 135 of 137
Wiltshs
Guide

All the latest firmware release:

• Firmware Version V1.0.0.58_1.0.112

Now fixes the no internet message for IPv4 users 🙂  Only issue I did have though after the upgrade my 5G wifi channel settings have a mind of there own e.g. channel sets to auto even though I have fixed channels, also the 2G wifi password was overwritten with the 5G password?  Once the 2G wifi password was reset everything was fine.

I will factory reset later to see if this fixes the channel issue.

Message 136 of 137
DrCharlesForbin
Apprentice

I’m happy at least they finally fixed it. My WiFi is finally set up the way I wanted it (not with this equipment). Now I may try and sell it on eBay rather than smashing it with a hammer as I originally wanted. 

Message 137 of 137
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7