× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 not assign proper IP to Apple iPhone or iPad

EX7000 not assign proper IP to Apple iPhone or iPad

Hi All,

Tied to this dicussion here, which is now closed...https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7000-not-assign-proper-IP-to-Apple...

I am having the exact same problem: I am running an Netgear EX7000 wifi extender with a BTHomeHub5 modem router and am having major difficulties connecting it to my Apple products mainly 2 x iPhone 6s and an iPad Air 2. This only happened once I updated to the most recent firmware.

I have tried modifying the wireless channels. I have also tried setting up as an AP...it send the correct IP details whilst acting as an AP, but then returns to not working once setup as an extender again. I have also phoned up my ISP and gone through their troubleshooting.

The conclusion, as with the thread I linked to above, is that the extender is not transmitting ipv4 to Apple devices and the issue lies with the extender.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX7000 not assign proper IP to Apple iPhone or iPad

Hi @ChughesLondon,

Welcome to the community!

1. Please make sure that a factory reset is done after the firmware update.

2. To confirm, does the issue persist on your other devices (non-Apple)?

3. Also, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 7

Hi Dexter,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I can confirm that factory reset has be carried out since the firmware was updated. 

Regarding your question regarding devices, currently the situation is that:

my iPhone WILL connect

my iPad WILL NOT connect

MacBook WILL NOT connect

MacPro WILL NOT connect

non-Apple Smart TV WILL NOT CONNECT

I have read some more on this topic and there appeared to be many people that complained about a firmware update that meant the EX7000 would only accept IPv6 connections. Is that correct? I would suggest that this is the source of my issues, but then again that wouldnt explain why my iPhone is the only device currently that will connect to the WiFi.

Very much hoping you can help me out here!

Thanks,

Chris

Message 3 of 7
SammiM
Guide

I am having this same exact issue. Have had my extender for over 2 years without issue until recent upgrade. I had reset and downgraded to no avail. Found the article previously noted and last comment indicated that ISP indicated that the extender is not assigning proper IPV4 addresses. Sure enough that seems to be the issue. Renewing the lease did not help. Please help! I'm on my fourth day dealing with this problem.

BTW, Chris, you mentioned that your iPhone connected to the extender. Mine did the same -- for a very short while. I can use certain apps (Facebook), but not others (Word 2 with Friends, Boggle). I can visit certain websites, but then other sites I get a "Safari cannot connect" message.

Very frustrating and would really like help.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 7

Hi SammiM,

So I eventually managed to sort this out myself. I downlaoded the oldest version of the firmware I could find and uploaded that in the usual place. Unfortunately it sounds like you've tried this already, but just on the off-chance it helps, this is the link to the version I used: https://kb.netgear.com/000051183/EX7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-58

Hope that helps!

Best,

C

Message 5 of 7
SammiM
Guide

Thank you, I tried every firmware version without success.

Having done more Google searches and reading many more community threads, I decided to take one advice to upgrade firmware to current version (v1.01.1.78_1.0.14) before downgrading. Surprisingly, immediately after upgrading to current version, my iOS devices connected without issue accessing internet sites I previously could not access. I checked IPV4 addresses on my iOS devices and they were all within range (192.168.xxx.xx). Excited everything was working I decided not to downgrade. Rather, I then moved my extender further away from the router (about 50 feet away), connected, and once again iOS devices failed to access certain internet sites and more telling the assigned IPV4 addresses were now out of range (169.254.xxx.xx). At that point, I decided to manually enter IPV4 addresses and everything is working. However, this is not ideal. I am awaiting for support to call me. 

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 6 of 7
alexmsan
Aspirant

Just wondering if Netgear support ever got back to you.  I've spent many hours this afternoon trying to get my extender to work with both my windows PC and the iphone 7.  For awhile the iphone worked great with the extender but I couldn't get my PC to connect to it.  So I reset the extender, reconnected it to the router via wps, and the PC now works fine but couldn't get the iphone to connect.  Finally manually entered IP4 address and the phone now works.  Not sure what the down side is to this -- perhaps the phone won't connect properly on other wifi systems?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7