× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 speed capped at 100Mbps

EX7000 speed capped at 100Mbps

Hi I have a EX7000 that worked for many years as a great extender. I connected it via RJ45 to my PC which then connected to a R8500. Well last year sometime the BIOs was upgraded on both devices several times. Now the speed between the EX7000 is capped at 100Mbps. I just connected it to a different WiFi 6 router (Verizon FIOs router) and the speed is still capped at 100Mbps. 

Previously it was ~300Mbps so this is pretty significant.

I have refreshed the EX700 and rebuilt the setting from scratch but that did not help at all (same with the R8500).

This is all WiFi and nothign to do with cables (they have been changed mutiple times). Sometimes when I reboot the EX700 the speed will work at 300 for an hour then drop back. This only happens every 10 time so it is rare.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: EX7000 speed capped at 100Mbps

Hi plemans,

Thank you for replying!

I have set it up as you would want. 5g to the router and 2.4 g extender. However I do not use the extender and have my PC connected by RJ45.

However, I am embarrassed to say it turns out my dedicated ethernet cat 6 cable from PC to router, BTW which is rarely ever touched, went bad! So the 1gig dropped to under 100meg. I replaced it and it works much better. I am getting 290 down & 100 up which still needs some work to get faster but at least I am past this hurdle.

Best Regards,

daniel

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

are you using fastlane? 

What firmware is on the extender? 
I don't have that specific extender but is there an option to ensure its using the 5ghz for the connection back to router for hardwired devices? 

I'd check on that. 2.4ghz is much slower in speeds. 

Message 2 of 4

Hi plemans,

Thank you for replying!

I have set it up as you would want. 5g to the router and 2.4 g extender. However I do not use the extender and have my PC connected by RJ45.

However, I am embarrassed to say it turns out my dedicated ethernet cat 6 cable from PC to router, BTW which is rarely ever touched, went bad! So the 1gig dropped to under 100meg. I replaced it and it works much better. I am getting 290 down & 100 up which still needs some work to get faster but at least I am past this hurdle.

Best Regards,

daniel

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it was something simple!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies