× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 wired ethernet ports operating at 100 Mbps not 1 Gbps

f1dad
Tutor

EX7000 wired ethernet ports operating at 100 Mbps not 1 Gbps

I'm trying to work out why my Windows 10 PC is getting a link speed of just 100Mbps even though its connecting via it's Realtek GBE adapter using a Cat.6 cable.  I've changed the Realtek adapter settings to set "Speed & Duplex" to prescribe "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex".  Even so the link is established at 100 Mbps.  The EX7000 management web interface doesn't provide any access to duplex settings nor confirms what it thinks the link speed is for each port.

If I connect the PC via wireless using the 5GEXT network I get a link speed of 866 Mbps so I can't imagine why it would be anything other than a failure to negotiate a 1Gbps wired connection but I don't know how to diagnose further.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Double and tripple check the port(s) and the cable. 

Another popular problem on a bunch of GBE interfaces are borked or old drivers. Have an eye if oyur RTL8xxx is coevered here -> http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&Langid=1&Level=5&PFid=5&P...

Message 2 of 3
f1dad
Tutor

Thanks. Updating the drivers was one of the first things I tried.  Realtek have an Ethernet diagnostic tool which can give readouts on the cable wiring pairs which was giving some intermittent results.  It looks like I've got a faulty port on the PC.  Some of the contacts aren't as prominent as others.  With a little coaxing I've managed to get a good connection and 1Gbps.  I suspect it may not last.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7