× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7300 5 GHz channel

gekuwa
Tutor

EX7300 5 GHz channel

EX6150.pngEX7300.pngDear collegues,

I´ve my EX7300 -configured as a AP- connected over a ZYXEL GS1900-24E switch to an AVM router 7490; FW V1.0.2.152.

Now I want to use a chanel => 100 in the 5 GHz band but it is not possible to choose such a channel in the configuration menu.

The range to select is from 36 to 48 only. (with a EX6150 such a selection is possible).

Has anybody a solution ? Many thanks in advance

Gerd

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7300 5 GHz channel

Which firmware are you on and what region are you in?

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

Try downgrading to version 1.0.2.140 (if you're on version 1). I've seen a couple posts with issues on the newer firmwares with dfs channels. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7300-v1-with-Firmware-1-0-2-144-5g...

Message 3 of 12
gekuwa
Tutor

The 7300 firmware is 1.0..2.152  and my region is Europe (Germany).

Thanks for the quick reply, I´ll try to downgrade the FW and let you know if it´s the solution.

Gerd

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

After the downgrade, make sure to factory reset and do a clean install (not from a backup)

Message 5 of 12
hrabcakm
Star

Hi There,

I can confirm, that issue still persist also in recent version of firmware 1.0.2.152, without any update from vendor side.

Already contactacted Netgear Support multiple times, but they doesn't care because my device out of waranty.

My original escalation, with steps how to reproduce the issue is avaliable here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7300-v1-with-Firmware-1-0-2-144-5g...

It doesn't make sense to downgrade Firmware to version 1.0.2.140, this version is nearly 3 years old with a lot of security bugs.

Regards,

M.

Message 6 of 12
gekuwa
Tutor

I just made the fw downgrade to version .140, a factory reset and a clean reinstall as recommended. You are right this was the solution and the dfs channels are available now.

I hope there are no security leaks in this fw-version. Anyway, thanks a lot for the quick help.

Friendly regards

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Glad its working for you!

Message 8 of 12
hrabcakm
Star

Hey, but downgrade is not an solution!

Event, it's hard to tell that's workaround, version .140 contain major security vulnerability, besides other minor issues with iOS devices roaming. We need an official fix from Netgear.

In the last couple of years, I feel like Netgear beta tester with their firmware releases. Maybe it's time to take a look for another vendor.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Feel free to try another vendor. 

I've used several other major brands. 2x of them didn't give ANY updates after releases on major flagship devices. Not saying they're all that way but at least netgear is still trying to update products/fix bugs. And I've been involved with beta testing with great results. But the more complicated devices get, the more bugs/issues you'll find. 

so while I agree and I don't feel netgear does quite enough on bug/issue fixes, compared to others I've used, its been better. 

Message 10 of 12
hrabcakm
Star

Yes, I Agree.

Reason why I'm upset on Netgear in this case is that I've opened the issue nearly 2 years ago (in 2019), when issue appears in FW version .144 and in these time my device was under full waranty. Without any notice they have closed my issue after one year as "Resolved, device out of waranty". When I tried to re-open and remind them an issue they closed it immediatelly because device is not in the waranty but SW issues persists.

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

@DexterJB Any ideas if this is being worked on? 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7